14. Admittance

It wasn't long before Evianna found herself outside the throne room gazing vacantly at Julian and Voster, who had waited on her.

Walking over to her as the giant doors closed, Julian began to question Evianna with barely a second between each word to breathe. Voster's heavy hand brought him to a stop; looking at Evianna, the pair expectantly allowed the stillness to urge an answer from her.

Evianna turned to look at the door as if she could watch the entire experience again from the outside. "Could... I explain somewhere else... please."

"Of course, we can head back to the Lupine Palace now anyway."

Motioning to Beras, who had led Evianna from the hall, Julian declared his intention to return, and the group departed the same way they had arrived. Walking through the long corridors, past the portraits, ornaments, and doors, which barely registered to Evianna as her mind was shrouded in thought. By the time she came to her senses, Voster was calling out to her. They were being escorted in the carriage through the green forest, leaving Beras, Warrick Palace and the King behind. It was now late in the day, and the sun was lowering. The orange-tinted green of the uniforms outside reminded Evianna of autumns in Hoiren. The fresh smells of oncoming evening encroached on them even through the closed windows; breathing them in deeply, Evianna focussed and recounted the events that transpired after Julian left the hall.

"His Royal Majesty... offered me everything I could ever need... and endless help to lift my curse in exchange for... jewels that fall freely... from my eyes..."

Julian jumped in before Evianna could continue, "I was there for that. Did you agree?" Frustration was apparent in his gleaming silver eyes. Evianna felt relieved that they once again had life compared to the emptiness they held in the throne room as he faced the man he had not once called father.

"Yes," she answered. Seeing the shock on Voster's face, Evianna tried very hard to word the following sentence sensibly. "He promised that I... could stay with you... as long as you will have me... until the curse can be cured."

A long sigh erupted from Julian as the tension in his body escaped now that he knew her answer. Smiling, he said, "I will gladly let you stay. Voster will find a way to break you free, before anything of note happens."

His words felt foreboding. Glancing to Voster, Evianna watched him nod in agreement which turned her confusion into a strong sense of dread. "What do you mean?"

Realising that he had said something unnecessary, Julian flippantly uttered, "Let's just say that His Royal Majesty doesn't always keep his end of the bargain."

Evianna felt as though that was the end of the conversation. It was clear that Julian had no intention of revealing any more on the topic. While the carriage rattled as they left the soft roll of the pine trees behind, they were once again in the company of brilliant purple fields.

"Why do you call him... His Royal Majesty and not father?" Evianna had asked without thinking. She was shocked by her sudden question and Julian stared in amazement as she tried to control her blushing.

Shrugging back an overfamiliar smile, he explained, "Each ruler can choose his 'calling,' my great grandfather, Forden Havit Del Waldemar, chose to be referred to as 'Lord Ruler', my grandfather, Astre Del Waldemar, went by 'My Leige.' However, His Royal Majesty does not specify but rather lets individuals choose based on their status."

Frowning, Evianna shook her head. "I don't... understand."

This time Voster interjected before Julian could continue, obviously frustrated by his explanation. "My Lady, for example, I call the King 'My King' because I am an Imperial Mage who serves the royal family, and he is the current head of state."

"And I call him 'Royal Majesty' because I am the Mistress's son who is lucky to have the title of prince." Julian glanced at Voster, who whistled, and they both laughed.

Although Evianna still didn't completely understand what they meant, she did not want to ruin the atmosphere. As the carriage slowed, the sun was low upon the horizon. It had been over a day since she had met the prince, and her life had changed completely. The elderly butler once again opened the door for their dismount as they arrived. Stepping down from the carriage, Evianna was overcome with an odd, soothing sense of home.