30. Acceptance

Hearing no immediate response, Evianna cast her eyes to the floor, trying to escape the silence. She had never looked at the tiles before, but she caught her breath as she realised that within each small glass, hexagonal tile was a flower, each one unique, composed of an actual bud frozen in time. While admiring the intricate beauty of the floor work, her senses jumped to alert as a heavy yet gentle weight sat on her head.

Turning her eyes upwards, she could see that Romile was smiling widely as he patted her, along with the others. Finally, before Julian's complexion became a dangerous shade of strawberry, he exploded in laughter.

Trying to calm himself, he spluttered, "It's Myrde, My-er-d," after a collected look from Sir Beras, he focussed and loosened the top button of his shirt to try to cool himself faster. His lips still twitching, Julian continued, "Do you remember when we met with the King yesterday, and there was a bird print on the carpet." Evianna nodded, still apprehensive in memory of the King explaining that the bird was a symbol of the kingdom. "His Royal Majesty explained that the Myrde is a sacred bird and is the symbol of Waldemyre. Every year there is a festival that is dedicated to the Myrde; it is also a festival that highlights the passing of the throne, but of course, we are not quite there yet."

As he said his last line, the temperature in the room dropped, Julian eyed Sir Beras, who respectfully dipped his head in response. Evianna was anxious. Although everyone took the time to answer her questions, she felt as though her eyes were bound with a lamb's fleece.

"What is a Lady Myrde?" Evianna queried, bringing the boys' attention back into the room.

Unexpectedly, Sir Beras stepped forward and presented her with a porcelain pin shaped like a bird, "She is the most talented Lady in the kingdom, who the Myrde will bless." Gripping the brooch in both hands, Evianna could feel the fresh, smooth surface gently caressing the inside of her fingers.

"She is paraded around the city and the palaces for all to see. Before arriving at Warrick Palace for the ruling monarch to bless her," Sir Beras continued. "Since you have received His Majesty's recommendation, it is certain that this shall be your role in the upcoming festival."

Perplexed by the responsibility that had been thrust upon her, Evianna boiled with panic. She had been shunned by others her whole life and was glad to have met Julian, Romile, Voster, and others that she could trust, but her aversion to crowds, as well as her ever-growing fear of the royal family, settled over her like an icy frost.

"Are you alright?" she heard Voster ask from her side.

"How... can I... do it?" Evianna whispered barely audibly. Staring at the stunning floor was all she could do not to flee.

"Listen, we will be there with you," Julian encouraged kindly, kneeling to meet her line of sight, which was directed downwards. Taking her hands in his, careful of the pin, Evianna felt his heat travel throughout her body, meeting the frost head-on. "Any Lady Myrde is allowed to choose her Guard, her escort. Outside of that, the procession will be protected by the King's guards and knights."

"I... don't..."

"Your Ladyship, please understand that you do not have a choice since His Majesty has decided," Sir Beras stated. Although he was brief, Evianna was comforted by his lack of sympathy.

"Kallin, be a bit gentler," Romile voiced as he slung his arm around Sir Beras, who grimaced while elbowing him in the ribs.

Straightening out his clothes which were as neat as Evianna remembered them being on their first encounter, he sighed, "My apologies, Your Ladyship; I came with His Highness to answer any questions you might have and to let you know the overall proceedings of the day."

His encouragement was not as boisterous as the others, but Evianna recognised that he was trying to help her in his way. She wondered if he was here on the King's orders or Julian's. As her mind weighed the possibilities, she locked eyes with the black-haired prince.

"Are you ready?" he grinned darkly.

"Yes," she replied, unaware that what awaited her was blood, tears, and jewels.