44. Voster's Past

Finding himself deserted, Voster walked over to the frame that Julian had been smiling at on the mantle. Tears formed in his eyes, which he swiped at forcefully upon seeing them in his reflection. His blue eyes stared back at him, and a sick sense of nostalgia spiralled in his mind.

Picking up the frame, he poured his magic into it until he felt drained. For a split second, the mirror disappeared, and he was able to catch a glimpse of a family portrait consisting of his younger self, a baby dark-haired Julian, and a stunning young woman with a striking resemblance to the second prince.

***

In Voster's earliest memories, a woman sang softly to him as she rocked him back and forward in her arms. Unlike the other children in the orphanage, he hadn't known his parents, so Sharlo Yastoff, the kind young lady who volunteered there, quickly became a mother figure.

As he grew bigger and began to display talent in magic, large quantities of people drifted to the orphanage, hoping to collect a boy with a useful skill.

Sharlo worked hard to protect him, taking him with her to work at the orphanage, the farm, and the bakery at her side. While she worked hard and volunteered selflessly, the villagers praised her compassion and elected her to become Lady Myrde.

Such a considerable honour allowed Sharlo to meet the married King, Yaalon Del Waldemar, who fell for her beauty instantly. He persistently courted her, bestowing gifts, providing her wealth and comfort, none of which she wanted. She spent her days dreaming of returning to the orphanage to be with Voster, who was still only four years old.

Unable to endure the rejection, the King forced himself on Sharlo, who conceived a royal heir. Trapped in the most beautiful palace, surrounded by purple fields, Sharlo cried for her son, who she missed dearly. Shame devouring his pride, the King sent young Voster to join his mother in isolation until the child was born.

When it was, the King's guilt at seeing the child that resembled his mother crippled his resolve to let her free. He believed that if she were to stay, he could change her mind, convince her to love him through acts of repentance.

However, Sharlo never did come to love him. In the quiet palace, she raised her sons away from the King's eyes; until one day when guards belonging to the King's mother arrived. The queen mother believed that her son, the King, was bewitched by Sharlo and thought to free him by removing her head, thinking it would turn his gaze back to the queen.

The guards stormed into the concubine's bedroom, where she was playing with her boys. While ushering the children back to protect them, she begged the guards to leave. Seeing his mother's distress, nine-year-old Voster reached for her while using his body to keep five-year-old Julian behind him; his raging emotions caused his untrained magic to surge violently.

An explosion of light left the space before the boys empty, with no sign of their mother or the guards. The young boys called out, but no one answered. Looking down, Voster noticed cinders covering the ground.

As his young mind raced to realisation, a new emotion spread like an icy shadow engulfing his tiny body. The room changed. Reaching out from the spot where Voster sobbed on his knees, glass spilled over every surface like a cage trapping that moment in the room forever.

***

Falling out of his memories, Voster stared blankly at the picture frame, which had returned to its glass state. Over the years, he had attempted to remove the cursed magic that had swallowed the room, but he had always been unsuccessful.

Feeling empty, he placed the frame down and left the room, ensuring the door was closed tightly before making his way back to Julian. As he walked, enjoying the occasional warm light from the mid-morning sun streaming through the windows, he arrived calm and prepared for what awaited him.

Kallin Ro Beras stood with three letters in the reception hall, the flower tiles glistening as the bright sunlight from the open door rained onto them. After handing one each to Julian, Romile and Voster, he turned to leave, unable to give words of support or wisdom.

"Kallin," Julian called out.

"Yes, Your Highness?" the steward replied unevenly, unsure of what the prince would say.

"Could you please send some people you can trust to search for Evianna? It appears I won't have the luxury of time to organise it myself."

"Of course, Your Highness," quickly Kallin bowed and left.

The rustle of paper revealed just what the boys had suspected; they found that the date for punishment had been decided quickly and indeed clashed with Evianna's funeral. Set in three days, they stood in silence and steeled themselves for the individual agony that awaited them.