33. The Myrde Festival

Stepping forward, Evianna's hand shuddered as she met with Illea's soft, inescapable hold. Landing in the exquisitely decorated carriage, she slid into the corner as the princess neatly poised herself in a regal fashion beside her.

Glancing at Julian and Romile on the ground, Evianna smiled meekly in reassurance. As the two boys hastily moved to their positions, Evianna's heart sped like a stallion left with a snake. The moment the group departed, the magnificent dress felt similar to the curse her mother had placed upon her, constant and unwanted. Shocked by a sudden grip, Evianna stared at her leg on which Illea was resting her hand.

"I understand we have had some differences, but I don't want that to overshadow the lovely time we shared in the garden," Illea's relaxed countenance unnerved Evianna. The pain she psychologically associated with the princess spread like a spider web beneath her skin.

"Of course not," Evianna barely managed to say. The breeze the evening brought helped to dry the glisten threatening to form in her eyes.

"Perfect," Illea beamed, giving her leg a little squeeze, "now, this is the second time that I am taking part in the Myrde's procession, did you know?"

Evianna's mind was a whirl; all of her attention was focused on the chilling warmth upon her leg. Without thinking, she replied, "No."

Sighing, Illea sounded almost sad, "When I was a little younger, I used my abilities to help the kingdom in a time of need," as the wind grew rougher, Evianna fought to hear what she was saying, "but we have all the time in the world, I'll tell you all about it one day."

Frustrated by the evasiveness of Illea's conversation topics, Evianna tried to calm her mind by enjoying the view. Since they were required to travel through the town, this route was one that Evianna had not seen before. Perhaps this was the way she first came to Lupine Palace, yet she had been asleep, unable to take in her surroundings. Leaving the Wall, through an almost unnoticeable gate far from the main entrance, the group emerged into fields and blooming orchards that ran alongside an almost forgotten track. Not long after passing by a small grove of trees and a mill, Romile appeared on a stunning black horse whose back stood above the carriage. He looked down at Evianna, and concern flashed across his face as his eyes settled on Illea's hand.

"Your Highness, Lady Myrde, we are now entering the town," Romile announced after clearing his throat roughly. Illea smiled and nodded.

Looking ahead, Evianna could see that the procession was passing through another gateway. As the carriage bumbled over the uneven road that was well-travelled, Evianna's fear melted away. Her eyes ate the sight of the festival. Lanterns hung from every wall and lined the skies; people stood in rows cheering and singing, waving and throwing flowers at her. Savoury and sweet aromas danced around her nostrils as they rolled past stalls of treats. There were musicians all playing the same songs on the balconies above as if they had rehearsed the entire year for this one day.

The warmth in the air took hold of Evianna as she laughed in awe. She felt strange as she had never experienced such joy before. It was different from the time she spent with Julian at the palace, it was new, and she hoped it would never end.

"Evianna, you must wave. This day only presents itself once a year. Enjoy it," Illea whispered in her ear.

Surprised, Evianna spun around to witness Illea standing, waving and smiling at the people. She caught flowers and called out greetings; Evianna could almost believe she was a kind and loving princess. No longer under the boot of fear, Evianna stood and acted just as Illea. As they proceeded through the town, at times, Evianna caught sight of Julian at the head of the group but only momentarily.

Soon the gigantic stone wall loomed above as they left the town and began crossing a bridge towards large armoured gates. Sir Beras had reiterated in his explanation of the festival Julian's previous clarification that the Wall existed to protect the palaces during an attack and store the common people during a siege. Evianna stared at the smooth rock and iron walls, amazed by the magnitude of security they instilled in the hearts of those who lived there.

Between the Wall and the town sat a bridge; old yet well-maintained, strewn with flowers and lanterns for the festival, with momentous statues of the Myrde in various positions at different points on either side of the roadway. While crossing, approaching the centre, the music began to die down, and the horses snorted, clattering their hooves harshly against the cobbles.