12. Reveal

As the King shared news of events only just recently occurred with a powerful question posed to illicit a confirmation, Evianna's insides turned cold. Everyone present stared at the small girl, adding to weight to the words and the expectations of her response to grow. Evianna didn't know how to reply. It was true that a diamond came from her eye but also a ruby and other variations of sparkly stones. Quickly she looked to Julian, who was still glaring at his father.

"Well? Is it true?" the impatience in the King's voice was evident, causing the courtiers by the throne to shift uneasily.

"Your Royal Majesty... it is true that jewels... fell from my eyes. Before my mother was... killed, she cursed me. The Second Prince and I believe... that this might be because of that curse." Evianna tried to sound eloquent; however, she was so unversed in the ways of words that she felt like a toddler speaking to an adult.

Whispers filled the room, only to be halted by a loud clang as the King's ring meet his golden throne.

"May I see these jewels?" A hollow grip tightened around Evianna's heart as she thought about the stones. Before leaving for Warrick Palace, Julian had handed them to Voster in order to analyse the origin of the curse.

Shaking her head, Evianna explained, "Your Majesty, I... was shocked at the time, so the Second Prince called on his Imperial Mage, Sir Nile Voster, to inspect them for me. I believe he still has them."

While the King contemplated, Evianna finally felt Julian's gaze upon her. Looking over, she could see him lightly shaking his head. Fear gripped her. He smiled softly before watching as the King summoned Steward Beras to his side, mumbling some secret instruction. Quietly, Beras descended the stairs and left the throne room.

Turning his attention back to the children, he exclaimed, "Now then, while that is being investigated, I would like to offer a reward to Miss Cabot. Second Prince, what have you offered?"

For the first time, Julian had been allowed to speak. Evianna realised that his father had not called his name even once since entering the hall. A sense of camaraderie warmed her; after all, her own mother had barely used her name often enough for Evianna to recognise it as her own. Shaking herself from her thoughts, Evianna waited for Julian's reply.

"Your Royal Majesty, after saving my life, I offered to bring Evianna with me to my palace in order to offer her safe living, an opportunity of education, as well as prospects for the future."

Laughing, the King countered, "Wonderful, you are indeed worthy of your title as a prince. Then, my reward is as follows: Miss Evianna Romilly Cabot shall be granted the title 'Baroness' for her kindness and bravery. She is to be allowed to live in the Second Prince's Lupine Palace until she is of marriageable age; at that time, I will help her to find a suitable husband. She will have the honour of being the Princess's Lady-in-Waiting when she is older and, as of today, the Second Prince's study partner. Does the young lady accept these gifts?"

Frozen where she stood, Evianna could not reach her voice. Each time he added to the reward, she felt as though a chain squeezed around her ankles. Before she could reply, Beras re-entered the hall with Voster behind him. Evianna watched as they approached and stopped at another white Myrde marking between herself and Julian.

As the pair bowed, the steward spoke, "Your Majesty, I have brought the Imperial Mage, Nile Voster."

His voice filled with anticipation, the King leaned forward, "Sir Mage, I have been told that you have examined the jewels produced by Miss Cabot. Is that correct?"

"Yes, My King," Voster glanced over to Evianna, who was staring blankly back at him, her mind still whirling from His Majesty's generous reward suggestions.

"What are your findings?" the King pressed.

"May I ask for more time before sharing my findings, My King?"

"You may not. I am sure you have some sort of knowledge," the King lent forward while he spoke, leaving his long beard to topple from his lap. "Do not withhold your discovery from me, Sir Mage, as I have been more than lenient on your past discretions."

Hesitantly, Voster bowed his head as he answered, "As a result of careful unfinished study, I have concluded that when the Young Lady cries her tears become precious stones. Although, it appears that there are conditions to be met for that to happen."

"What are they?"

"My King, may I ask once more for time to consolidate my findings?" Voster asked cautiously.

The response was another explosive clang reverberating around the hall as the King pounded his fist against the golden arm of his throne. His eyes darkened while he lowered his voice authoritatively, "I believe you have already reached a suitable conclusion based on your previous deduction. What conditions must be met?"

Voster shot Julian a meaningful look which was met by an expression of dismay. Evianna observed the boys as they communicated momentarily before feeling the weight of Voster's sky blue eyes on her. Too conscious of her surroundings to meet his face, Evianna stared at the bird beneath her feet. Undeterred by her reaction, Voster held his gaze on Evianna, his ears flushing apologetically.

"Well?" roared the King.

"It has come to my attention that only if she is faced with physical pain do the tears become jewels."