||1||

Arc One: Before Our Story Begins
Setting: Nigeria

----

"School is over!" I screamed as the dismissal bell was rung and the teacher walked out of the classroom. I put my bag and went to look for my brother wherever he was.

"Chioma." I looked at who called me and saw my brother in a corner of the large hallway speaking with his friends. He waved. I walked towards him.

My brother and I were twins and he was older by ten minutes. We both looked alike though not much. We were fair-skinned and tall though he was taller. My brother's facial features were like our father's while I inherited our mother's.

Walking towards him and his friends, I scanned them from head to toe. It was part of my duty as the Head Girl. "Our little Chioma." Rhema, one of his friends spoke. "You're more beautiful by the day."

"I'm not little. Remove the handkerchief. All of you." I instructed and they did though rather reluctantly. Well, all except Buchi, my brother. He left the handkerchief he tied on his hair there. This was against the school rules but it didn't stop them from breaking them.

I stood on my toes and tried to remove the handkerchief but he moved backwards. He was taller than me so I had to jump to reach it. He moved further and it became a game of chase. I ran through the hallway chasing him. I didn't mind the stares of other students because it wasn't the first time this sort of thing happened.

The last time, he was holding my assignment and he made me submit it late. I stopped as I saw my brother's handkerchief in front of me. I looked up and saw Ebenezer my best friend. "Thanks." I turned to my fuming brother and waved it and danced with it while sticking out my tongue.

"Are you coming for this night's party? It's Bisola's birthday," Eben asked and I clicked my tongue at the mention of her name. Bisola and I weren't on good terms. She found every opportunity to degrade me. She didn't even give me the respect I deserved as a prefect. Press Club President my foot.

"Chukwuoma Igbokwe, I hope you will come for my birthday party tonight." Speak of the devil. I wanted to reject her but I was cut short.

"Of course she's coming. She wouldn't miss it for the world." I looked at my brother who answered. He knew how much she hated me. Yet... revenge. He wanted revenge. I glared at him before pulling Eben and walking away.

"You're coming?" He asked and I nodded. I saw him smile.

"I don't know what she planned. She invited me. I don't want her problem," I said.

"So, have you done literature homework?" He asked and I nodded.

"Yesterday. If I finish today's own I'll be free for the weekend but this party thing... Ọ na-enye m nsogbu." I spoke in my dialect, Igbo. He understood.

(Literally: It's giving me trouble.)

"Seniors, good day." A junior greeted us. She was my ward. I mean our ward, Eben and I.

"Gina, how are you?" I asked patting her hair.

"Senior Chioma, I'm fine. I passed the test. Surprisingly, I applied your formula and it worked."

"Good girl." I was very fond of her. She had been a homeless girl in the streets when we found her. I took her in for a while before we found a family that wanted to adopt her. They sent her to school here.

She was always mocked and bullied. One day, I decided to take her in as my ward. Eben also wanted to be her guardian.

"Should I drop you off at home? It's getting late." I offered but she shook her head.

"Thank you." I allowed her to go.

"She's improving. She smiles more often." I heard Eben's comment. I nodded.

"So are you coming with your brother or should I pick you?" He asked and I knew he was referring to the party.

"With Buchi." I didn't want to trouble him.

"Oh, okay." We were outside the building and I saw our driver from afar. Eben pulled me into a hug. "I'll see you tonight."

I didn't have the time to reply because my hands were grabbed and I pulled away from him. I turned to see my brother. I rolled my eyes before I waved at Eben.

"What was that about?" Buchi asked as we entered the car.

"What?" I acted like I didn't know.

"You hugged him. I told you not to."

"He's my best friend," I replied.

"And he's a boy. You don't hug boys."

"Really? Even you." I moved closer to his side and hugged his shoulder. He wanted to push me away but he allowed me to stay.

"I'm your brother. That's different."

"It isn't. I see him as a brother too."

"But that's not how he sees you," he muttered. Not understanding, I placed my head in his lap and closed my eyes. He patted my head and we stayed that way.

★Buchi★

"Remove the handkerchief. All of you." Chioma said I watched as my friends did but I wouldn't for any reason remove mine. It looked cool on me.

I watched as she reached to get it but I moved backwards. She tried again and I ran through the hallway with it. She was chasing me. She was fast. She wasn't ranked first on the female track team for nothing but I was faster.

Then I felt someone grab it from my hair. I never allowed people to touch my hair. Not even my girlfriends. It was only my parents and Chioma. I looked and saw Ebenezer. I frowned. He was my sister's best friend. I didn't like this guy.

One, he and I always competed for the first position. Most times it would be a tie in scores or he will be first or I will be.

Secondly, I hated his face. I mean what's with students comparing the both of us. Even at face value. But my sister said I was more handsome so, I was more handsome.

Thirdly, he likes my sister. I hated the way he looks at her always trying to woo her. First, he became her best friend. He even contested for the position of head boy to be with her. Even in the church, he joined the choir because she was there. I'm glad she was very dense in such matters when it was about her.

Ebenezer gave my handkerchief to Chioma and she stuck out her tongue while dancing with it. I glared at Ebenezer. I heard him ask if she was going to tonight's party at Bisola's house.

She didn't reply because the girl herself asked again. I knew she didn't like my sister. She hated her and I also hated her but because it was a party, I had to go. And for revenge's sake, I'll drag Chioma with me.

Chioma dragged Eben and walked away. I hated their closeness. I watched as they spoke to their ward. Looked like they didn't know they were holding hands. Or she didn't know. They walked outside the building and I followed them.

I couldn't take it anymore when he hugged her. I pulled her away and luckily the driver was waiting.