||66||

☆Kenneth

"I have a family lunch to get to, I'll call you back okay?" I rolled my eyes at dad's mimicry. "That was my daughter-in-law right?"

He was on this daughter-in-law thing that I did not understand. Vivian and I had just met. She wasn't even yet my girlfriend and he expected us to be married? It was funny coming from a man who had rejected all marriage proposals for me. "It was Vivian, dad. Your goddaughter." He scoffed.

"Your mom's waiting for us, your grandma is waiting too. Let's go eat. Be careful though. Study your utensils carefully and do keep an eye on your mother. Your relatives like playing games." I nodded as he spoke while we walked down the stairs. Mom was at the bottom waiting for us. She wore a sapphire blue chiffon gown with short strapless. Her makeup did well to add some colour to her face. She looked healthier than she actually was. "Hey beautiful."

I could not get used to the sudden display of affection by dad had begun to show. Kissing her in front of me? The first time I saw that was the morning after they landed. I looked away to give them space to finish. At least mom's face was actually red and it wasn't because of blush. "Hey baby." I kissed her head.

"Hey, mom. You look very pretty."

"I know." I laughed and followed as dad took her hand and led her to the dining area. MY aunt was already there and she was wearing mom's dress, but green. Twins. Never understood them. They took about five minutes to compliment dresses and wonder how they thought of wearing the same thing. I was watching my mom laugh like a child and twirl in her dress. Uncle Aaron was watching his wife with a twinkle in his eyes and a proud look. A look I used to envy...but it seemed like things were better between my parents. Mom was making all these poses and dad was the one taking her pictures. I also took a few snapshots from the back. I changed my screen saver immediately.

"Lunch is ready, sirs and madams. The family is already seated—"

"Nobody cares. We're coming," Uncle snapped at the maid. He signalled his son whom I had decided to pay no heed to. The brooding bastard trudged after his father, airpods in his ears. "Fucking walk smartly. And don't embarrass me more that you already have, bastard." I loved the authority my uncle had in his voice. Ebenezer straightened up, and even adjusted his untucked shirt.

I followed my parents, pulled out a seat for mom and waited for her to settle down before I had mine. The seat at the head was occupied by an older version of my mother. Yes, they looked alike but grandmother looked more like my aunt than my mother. Two seats on the opposite sides of the woman were unoccupied and I knew who they were for. But I didn't move until she called us. The rest of the fourteen-seater was occupied by my grandmother's family and Ebenezer's sister whom I realised had not noticed us but was engrossed in conversation with the man beside her.

I sat beside one of the younger guys, my grandmother's grandchild If I remembered correctly. He glanced at me with pure hate. Maybe to him we were rivals, fighting for the old witch's affection, but I didn't really care about her. What was mine would always be mine. And I hoped I didn't waste two days of my life here for nothing. I had places to be. "My princes. Come sit beside grandma." There were only two people she called her princes. Me, and the other one. That was our cue to move to the two empty seats beside her. I took the one at her right hand, as I had always done. It irked Ebenezer but who gave a fuck what he felt? Hmm?

Dinner was served in three courses. The appetizers were the only things I could swallow. How my parents managed to eat the soup was something I didn't understand. Maybe the African in me hadn't yet awoken. I nobody said a word till it was time for desserts. "How is your education, boys? School's good, right?"