||67||

"I'd be staying with who? We just got here. I haven't even plugged in my phone, Dad." We had just come back to my dad's ancestral home only for him to tell me I was going somewhere else? What the? Couldn't I get a break?

"Calm down , Ken. You'll be leaving tomorrow. Please be respectful. Don't try anything fishy with my daughter-in-law. Her dad will kill you. I trust Monica to guide you though. She's a good woman. Try to be involved in whatever the family is doing. I'll visit. Learn your culture, and your language. You're Nigerian son. Don't forget all the gifts you got Vivian. I'll give you something for her mom later." I was going to Vivian's house?

"Is there a car I can borrow." All my cars were overseas.

"Sure sure. Take the black G- Wagon. Blends in easily, more common. I'll drop you off with it." I nodded. "And stay safe. Don't die. You're my only son."

"I'm not, dad." He froze for a second.

"Oh yeah, Ernest. I forgot. But still, stay safe. Start packing for a week plus."

~

Vivian really looked like her mom. The way the older woman embraced dad showed how close they were. It didn't take her long to notice me and I could swear she wanted to scream in shock. "Chimaobim? Oh my- This boy has grown so much. That small boy. Nna come. I'm your godmother ehn? Your dad and I were best friends. "

"Are." She rolled her eyes. Interesting.

"Are best friends. I'm too shocked. Where's Manuel? HE has to see you.I can remember when you were a baby, crying a lot. Then the last time I saw you... Well, you weren't this tall. Now I'm looking up at you." she laughed. I saw where Vivian got her beautiful laughter from.

"Batawa nu. Come in. Come in. Kendrick how's the wife?"

"O di ofuma. She sends her regards." I raised my brows at my father. Since when? He had been learning?

"Kelere m ya." We were led into the parlour and offered seats. The woman offered us seats and excused herself.

"I remember the first time I came here," dad sighed. "I came to look for trouble."

"Really? Tell me more." While I sounded interested, I wasn't. If this was her village home then she had to be around but it seemed that wasn't the case. Everywhere was quiet unlike how noisy she said it usually was.

"You know, Monica was the woman I used to love. When I met her, I vowed I would have her." He chuckled sadly. "Well we were friends. I liked her because she was different. Yes, her background wasn't very...um, favourable."

"She was poor?" I asked in a bored tone. There was no need painting it in colours.

"You don't have to put it that way, but yeah. And it still didn't change her. She was on a scholarship in the university then." It took so much not to cringe. "I mean I was obviously rich. And her brother had health issues then, serious ones that had her working multiple jobs to make ends meet. She never asked for a dime. Proud girl. It was all in the name of work that she met that nonsense Manuel. Asshole."

"You're still pained?"

"No. Manuel really is nonsense. He paid her to be his cook, meanwhile he had eyes on her. Who does that? Where's the professionalism? She was a worker. And I was still actively wooing Monica. I was getting frustrated so I came here thinking I could threaten Manuel's brother."

"Useless boy. Kendrick long time no see." He was obviously well into his fifties, or sixties. Dad got up and they greeted by shaking hands. "You finally decided to stop chasing shadows and settle down. See? Your son is a fine young man. How are you boy?"