||64||

☆Buchi

She had refused to tell me anything about what that Ebenezer had done to her, so I had nothing to tell mom when she asked. I only told her about my suspicions that Ebenezer being the reason for her sudden change. He had done something to hurt Chioma but the question was what? Chioma was tight-lipped about the matter and when mom decided to ask aunt Emerald, she and her family had already travelled.

It took so much not to barge into that room that day. Ebenezer had hurt my sister, to the extent of her not wanting to see him. Knowing how easily Chioma forgave him meant that Ebenezer had done something unforgivable. And I was trying to give him the benefit of doubt, knowing how much he loved my sister. But I couldn't shake away the image of those fading bite marks on her skin, the fingerprints on her neck and how she limped. The way she cried that day... I would never had believed he was capable of doing that to Chioma if I didn't see her present state.

"I si gini mee ada m?" I heard dad ask. Mom shook her head quietly. "Have you tried speaking to her?"

"O naghi ekwu kpakam! I choo ka m mezie gini?" I looked at Chioma who was BLANKLY STARING OUT THE WINDOW. My heart ached for her. I missed my sister. I just hoped this December would make her forget whatever she went through. And that Ebenezer...He would never have peace of mind, for hurting my sister.

"Did you ask Emerald?"

"She travelled. This evening, I'll ask."

"You'd better." I ran myfingers through Chioma's new braids.

"My love." I whispered into her ear. She turned to me and turned back to the window. "When will you be ready to speak to me?"

"Buchi, leave me alone. I'm tired."

"I miss hearing your voice. You rarely talk these days. Kenneth's been calling."

"i don't feel like talking to him."

"He's quite worried. Been spamming my inbox."

"I'm tired, Buchi."

"Chioma, no matter what, we'll always be here for you. We love you, okay. The Igbokwes would do anything for you." So she shouldn't be afraid to open up. She finally hugged me.

"It's the Isongs we're talking about here." Since when did that begin to matter? We were family friends.

"We don't care even if it is the Queen of England." I heard her cry. It was just Ebenezer. If she was afraid of his dad, she was too scared. Uncle Aaron would surely side us if he actually hurt her.

~

Village air was so different. Fresher and it smelled of mmemme, happening and upcoming occasions. It also smelled of food, local delicacies. i sighed as we approached the huge gates, gates i hadn't seen for quite a while. It had been four years since we last visited. Four good years. A lot would have surely changed.

Beep beep.

i turned to my twin who was staring blankly at her laps. "Baby m. We've reached oo. Cheer up, oh?" I pecked her cheeks. The next time I met that Ebenezer, we would have a heart to heart talk about what occurred between him and my sister. I got down and waited for her to follow. My parents and younger sister who used another vehicle had already come down and were exchanging greetings with our relatives.

I mentally prepared myself for embarrassment as I went to join my parents. "Heii. O buzikwa Chibuchi bu onye a?"

"Auntie good afternoon." I bowed to the middle-aged woman.

"Lekwanu ka ha si eto. Lekwanu Chioma. Ada, how are you?" The woman didn't even wait for a reply before hugging my sister. Chioma was red. I was red for her too. "Chibuike umu gi etochakwaala. Obere ihe, Monica jewe omugwo." Mom laughed, so did dad. She addressed my dad with this native names.