||17||

"Are you okay?" I wrapped my arms around her as I got closer. I never wanted to lose her. To anyone. I wanted her to always be by my side. Even if I wasn't going to be the one in her heart, staying by her side was enough.

"I'm fine. Chioma, we'll always be together okay?" I sounded childish but I didn't care.

"Eben, you know that's not possible. You'll get married someday. I will, too." She said and I gritted my teeth. I didn't say anymore but buried my face in the crook of her neck. I loved her flowery scent.

"I know. But we'll be friends. You won't end our friendship right?"

"Of course not. As far as you don't do anything stupid." I wouldn't. I inhaled more of her scent almost drowning in its sweetness. I could remain this way.

"Mom!" I suddenly heard and raised my head. "I'm here."

"Chidera came?" Chioma asked. I held her hand and we went downstairs together. I saw my sister hugging mom.  My heart ached for her. She was thinner than the last I saw her. I looked around. Her so-called husband wasn't with her. I scoffed inwardly.

He was lucky he wasn't around or I'd have a heart to heart talk with my brother-in-law. He wasn't going to like it since I'd be doing most of the action. I saw tears at the corners of mom's eyes. Of course, she felt sad seeing her daughter in that state.

Chidera, my sister was married off because of some stupid business deal. She was twenty when she got married and that was two years ago. She was only in her second year in university.

The man she married didn't love her. After they got married, she had come home often to complain. She told of how he brought different women back home, how he threw insults at her. He had even stopped her from schooling for a few months. He even laid his hands on her once.

We had asked her to get a divorce, but she said he was her husband and they were to spend their lives together. Bullshit! That was crap. I knew she had a boyfriend before dad's arrangements. I didn't know his identity but he used to call her every night before he suddenly stopped calling. I didn't know why.

"I'll leave you to your family Eben," Chioma said trying to release her hand from mine. Subconsciously, I tightened my hold before letting her.

"Chioma, Nedum's coming to pick us up," Jordan said. I noticed the look of spite he gave me before he walked away with his sister.

"Dera," I called to her. Mom smiled my way before she went back to the kitchen.

"Lil bro, you didn't change much." She hugged me. I hugged her back.

"How have you been? What has that idiot been doing to you?" I held her hand up and scanned her. She was even losing that figure she had been proud of. "You're thinner."

"Ebenezer..." her eyes reddened. Something had happened. I could tell from her expression.  He had done worse.

"Dera, talk to me." I held her hand and pulled her to my room. We sat on my bed, but I offered her a bottle of juice from my mi I freezer.  "What did he do?"

"Ebenezer...he...he...got his lover pregnant." She sobbed. "And he brought her home. He chased me out of our matrimonial" room."

"What else." I was trying hard not to get up and break something.

"He slapped me. He hit me when I confronted her. And...and..." She clutched her stomach. I narrowed my eyes.

"And?"

"Miscarriage. I was carrying his child but it's gone." She broke down. I stared quietly at the lady crying. I chuckled then burst out laughing.  I was laughing so hard as I got up from my bed.