Heated Arguments - Mammon

More angst and a 2 part story >:)

Also disclaimer: The flowers I describe in the story, higanbanas or red spider lilies are actually poisonous in real life, they can kill humans and wild animals alike. And if you've seen enough anime, you know there's bad news if they appear. They're the symbol of death/afterlife, said to be used to guide the souls to the other side. This is one of the many meanings, but it's the most prominent. But for plot sake, I changed what they mean/do in Devildom specifically.

«————————————————»

"I can't believe you!" You shouted at Mammon.

"Look, I'm sorry okay? I forgot!" He protested.

"That's your excuse?! That you just somehow forgot even though I told you multiple times?!" You said.

"Is that so hard to believe? You're frickin overreacting!" Mammon scoffed.

"Are you being serious? Mammon we planned this for a week! You promised me that we'd go! But instead, you'd rather just drop it for money?" Your cheeks felt warm from anger

Mammon promised you that he would take you out on a date, so you both cleared your schedules and made sure nothing came up. But as soon as some witch working at a modeling agency offered Mammon a gig he took it without hesitation and without looking at when the shoot took place. He didn't even bother to tell you until you asked him where he wanted to go.

"Relax, Y/n! We can just go another day!" Mammon rolled his eyes.

"That's not the point! The point is that you're blowing our date off for some stupid photo shoot!" You coughed a bit.

You were beginning to feel really warm. Something felt off, but you were too upset to really pay attention to yourself.

"It's not some stupid photoshoot! I'm makin good cash with this! Afterward, I'll buy ya wherever ya want." He waved you off.

"Buy me..? I don't want you to buy me anything! I just want to spend some time with you!" You coughed again.

Seemed like the more upset you got the hotter you felt. Something wasn't right, but you didn't even know where to begin to look for the reason why this was happening to you.

"Why don't we just hang out now and get it over with?" He groaned.

"Mammon this is the third time you've canceled our date at the last minute...do you honestly think that's just going to make me feel better?" You felt so frustrated with him you didn't even know what to say. You loved him but this was too much.

"Tch! Nothing I'm offerin' ya seems to make ya feel better! And I thought I was the greedy one. Y'know what? You can just forget it! I didn't even want to go out with your annoying ass anyways. Why don't you just leave...me...." He was so bent on winning the argument he didn't even realize what he was saying until he already said it.

He finally looked at you, ready to apologize but noticed you weren't looking that well.

"Hey...are you okay?" He asked you timidly.

"L-look I didn't mean-" He tried feeling your cheek for your temperature but you pushed his hand away.

"I'm fine...I'll just take my annoying ass somewhere else." You muttered.

"W-Wait I didn't-"

You coughed again, you felt so light-headed you almost fell over. Mammon quickly caught you before you fell, now extremely worried about you.

"Yer definitely not fine! Don't be so stubborn!" Mammon snapped.

"I'm the stubborn one?! Just let go of me you jerk! I'm f-fine..." You trailed off.

You tried getting away from Mammon but you suddenly felt your legs give way. You were so overheated and tired your body couldn't handle it, it was like you were burning from the inside out.

"O-Oi! What's gotten into you?" Mammon caught you again, this time holding you tightly. You were so out of it you didn't even have any strength to push him away.

"What the hell..? You're burning up." Mammon was extremely worried now.

You felt like passing out. But you didn't know how you got like this since you were perfectly fine earlier. What changed..?

"Hold on I'm taking ya to Lucifer." Mammon carried you bridal style to Lucifer's study. You felt too ill to even protest.

He kicked the door open, not caring that Lucifer would string him up for it. He just wanted to make sure you were okay.

"LUCIFER WE HAVE A PROBLEM!" Mammon panicked.

"What the hell has gotten into-"

"No time to explain! Y/n's burning up and it's getting worse!" Mammon said.

Lucifer got up from his desk. He wasn't too worried, thinking you might just have some fever. But when he felt your forehead he knew something was seriously wrong.

"This isn't good...there's a curse on Y/n." Lucifer furrowed his brows.

"What?! How? W-what curse?" Mammon looked at you with fear in his eyes.

"There's a higanbana bud growing inside them. Whoever put this on Y/n must have a serious vendetta against them..." Lucifer frowned.

"A what??" Mammon asked. Lucifer rolled his eyes.

"Higanbanas grown here in Devildom are quite rare and used for their natural heating source. It's relatively harmless to us, but for humans, it can be lethal...especially if the human is put under a stressful situation." Lucifer explained.

"S-so that means the more pissed they are...the faster the flower grows?" Mammon asked cautiously. Lucifer nodded.

Mammon felt a pit in his stomach. If he had known he would have never started that argument with you. It felt like it was his fault that you were like this.

"The only way to stop it from growing is to find whoever placed the curse on Y/n and...talk to them..." Lucifer said grimly.

"W-wait can the higan-whatevers be passed onto someone..?" Mammon gulped. He was feeling a bit warmer earlier but he just thought I was because of his jacket. The dots started connecting.

"Theoretically, yes...what are you implying?" Lucifer asked.

"I-I think I know who did this..." Mammon said.

"Who?" Lucifer crossed his arms.

Mammon looked at you with tears in his eyes. The absolute fear of losing you took over his body, causing him to tremble. He kissed your head before gently placing you on one of the chairs in the study. Mammon looked at his older brother in the eyes, tears now falling to his cheeks. His lip quivered a bit before he answered him.

"...I think it was me"