Breaking point - Diavolo

Sort of experimental/kinda different from my other writings mostly bc it's a lot longer. If you guys like it I'll try to write more about Diavolo and the others. Also a tw for stress and breakdowns so pls don't read if you get triggered easily.

Diavolo never really grasped how emotions worked. Especially with humans. He oftentimes found it amusing how minds functioned when in different situations, which is why he would play pranks on the brothers or even see how they would manage under pressure. It wasn't that he did it all for fun, he also did it to learn more about how to help when the brothers are at their breaking point. He knew their little habits when they were at their limit.

Along with knowing when they were stressed, he knew how to de-stress them. Though he could never do it with their knowledge. He'd always secretly pull strings here and there to make them feel better. But that was basically it. He knew the "science" of emotions, knowing that when there's an action, there's always going to be a reaction.

He was confident in reading people until you came along. He couldn't read you nor Simeon. He grew to dislike Simeon since he couldn't understand the angel, but you were different. He couldn't bring himself to dislike you. Something about your aura drew him in. And after seeing you wrap the seven brothers around your finger, his interest grew.

One thing he knew for sure about you was that you never had any ill intent on the brothers, that you'd actually do anything in your power to help them. You've always been so kind and confident, even when the brothers were rude to you. Diavolo just had to know more about you.

He would invite you over for tea, ask for your opinion on things, and assign specific paperwork for you. No matter what he tried doing, he couldn't see through you, though he grew extremely close to you. He knew your dimples would show when you're genuinely smiling, or your eyes would sparkle when you talk about something you're passionate about, and you'd have a cute smirk when you said something witty. But not when you were nervous, stressed, or even sad. It was like a dangerous game of Jenga, not knowing what move would make the tower collapse.

"Lord Diavolo? Lord Diavolo, are you okay?" You said, waving your hand a bit in front of his face. He was pulled out of his thoughts.

"Hm? Oh yes, I'm quite alright...I just had something on my mind." He chuckled. he put down the papers he was holding.

"So what was it that you wanted to talk to me about my lord?" You asked. You saying 'my lord' sent butterflies to his stomach.

"Oh, just some papers I require you to fill for the student council meeting tomorrow. And I've told you Y/n, just call me by my name, I don't mind."

"But Lucifer-"

"Pay no mind to what Lucifer thinks, he just likes to be strict with you. Hearing you call me 'lord' sounds strange." He made a face before laughing.

"Okay then, Diavolo." You chuckled. Ah, there it was, your sweet laughter that warmed his heart.

"A-Anyways...I need to get a bit serious with you, Y/n." Diavolo said as he took off his reading glasses. You fixed your posture.

"Of course. What's wrong?" You questioned. And so the game began.

"Are you aware that exams are coming up?" He asked. You nodded.

"Well, last year, we let you take only half of the tests, considering that you were just beginning the exchange program and knew nothing of our world." He said.

"From then, you've gotten quite stronger and well accustomed to our culture. So we've decided to have you take all the tests to truly see if you're capable of handling your powers." Diavolo finished. You stood silent for a second.