Burden

Spoilers for early lessons+16 in A/n!

A/n: Changing the story around a bit(?) Like Belphie never being locked in the attic or killing MC. I hope it makes sense later (^^;

Requested by @obeymeanimeislife

You were still quite new to Devildom and everyone around you, so you always looked at everything through curious eyes. You had constant questions you wanted to ask the brothers but never did since you didn't want to annoy them.

But in some sort of twisted sense of luck, you had the chance to get some of your questions answered. You were assigned to write an essay about the Celestial war. And who better to ask than the brothers themselves? Maybe even Satan has some books on it. So you decided to ask them all at dinner time.

"Hey, guys?" You asked.

"Hm? What is it, Y/n?" Lucifer asked, not looking up from his papers.

"Um...I have to work on a history piece and I was wondering if you all could help me." You said.

"Maybe...what's the topic?" Satan asked.

"It's about the Celestial War." You said.

The brothers looked at each other with dread in their eyes. None of them ever talked about it, nor their days as angels. You never really understood why, but then again you never asked until now.

"I was wondering if you all could give me your points of view?" You said.

"Uh...th-that's kind of a tall order ya got for us..." Mammon looked away nervously.

"Oh...then maybe how it started and ended? Or your life as angels?" You asked.

"No." Lucifer snapped.

"Wh...huh?" You looked at him surprised.

"I said no. Do you need to hear it again?" Lucifer said.

"Did your professor tell you to ask us..?" Levi frowned.

"W-well no I just-"

"What class did you say this was again?" Beel asked.

"It's f-for uh-"

"Who's your professor, anyway?" Belphie looked disgusted. You again tried to answer but Asmo interrupted you.

"Guys, please. Sorry, honey...we don't really talk about that here." Asmo said.

"O-oh...I'm sorry. I just thought maybe you guys would-"

"That's enough, Y/n. I don't want to hear any more questions about that topic anymore." Lucifer said.

"But Lucif-"

"I said ENOUGH!" Lucifer slammed his hands on the table.

"We will not talk about this or anything related to it any further, understood?" Lucifer stood up and left the room.

You looked down at your food and poked at it for a bit, your appetite was completely spoiled. You were too nervous to look at the rest of the brothers. You already felt their disapproving gazes burning through you. It became too much for you, so you excused yourself without finishing.

"I'm so sorry for upsetting you guys, I really didn't mean to...I-I'll be off in my room now." You said as you quickly left.

You locked yourself in your room and slid down the door with a sigh. You felt so stupid for asking them about their past. It was clearly a sensitive topic for all of them. You really didn't mean any harm to them, so you prayed they wouldn't be so upset at you in the morning.

But by morning, tension was still thick in the air. You tried everything you could to gain their forgiveness, but nothing really stuck. They would just turn the other way and ignore you. You felt so awful, but you didn't want anyone to see that, so you kept to yourself and put on a smile whenever someone asked if you were okay.

"Y/n..? Y/n!!" Simeon waved his hand in front of your face.

"H-Huh?" You looked at him startled.

"Are you okay? You've been spacing out an awful lot." Solomon frowned.

"Oh...sorry. I didn't notice." You faked a laugh.

"Did those good-for-nothing demons bully you? Don't worry, Y/n! I'll make sure they never bully you again!" Luke waved his fists in the air for emphasis.

"Thanks, Luke, but everything's fine. I just didn't sleep well." You again put on an act.

"If something is bothering you, don't hesitate to tell us. You know we're always here for you." Simeon smiled sweetly.

You felt close to tears. You wanted to tell them, but you couldn't shake off the feeling that things would only get worse if you did.

"I appreciate it...really I do. But I...I promise I'm doing fine. It's just a bit off an off day for me." You said.

You had trouble focusing on your classes the rest of the day. You couldn't help but picture how upset all the brothers looked. It didn't help that you further drove in the thought that they were going to keep ignoring you and hating you forever.

You walked home alone that day.

You tried your best to approach the brothers at home, but they again would ignore you or make up an excuse to leave. That just brought you down even further. But you didn't want to give up just yet. Maybe...just maybe there would be hope for the next day.

So you tried again. You tried your hardest to show you truly didn't mean them harm, but it was never enough. No matter what you did to show you were sorry, it never seemed to stick. You were struck with the thought of them getting annoyed by your attempts of trying to reconcile with them, so you finally stopped, not wanting to bother them any further.

You thought you could deal with the brother's ignoring you, but as more time went by, it became too much to bear. You needed to do something before it suffocated you. So you made a plan to leave for a while. You luckily found a place you could stay where it was far enough from the brothers but a good walking distance from the school.

You packed what little you had in your bag so you could go there after school the following day. You wrote the brothers a letter apologizing once again and telling them everything was going to be fine, just in case they ever went into your room looking for you. You decided to leave your D.D.D there too, finding it pointless to have it since the brothers were the only ones who ever contacted you on it.

You hardly slept because of how anxious you were feeling. So you decided to skip breakfast and head straight to school, avoiding the brothers completely. At school, you nervously counted the hours down until you were to arrive at the place you managed to find. And as the final bell rang, you leaped out of class with anxiety riddling your body.

You still couldn't believe that you were really doing this. With every step you took, new worries popped into your mind. Would the brothers even notice if you were gone? You didn't know...all you knew was that this was for the better.

Not once did you look back in regret.

A/n: another two-parter ik, ik, I'm sorry but it was getting really long so I cut it in half ;-;
Pt. 2 coming super soon (it won't end in angst I promise-)