29

song:
identity - taemin

HER IDENTITY

Everything was closing in for her. She needed just a moment, even small, just to breathe peacefully.

Her wings took her to the place that always had a comfortable warmth for her. The pristine home where all her first memories took place. The place she went to every day but somehow today it felt even more inviting.

She knew her guardians weren't home, they were busy entertaining themselves as the two were now retired from being in the council.

She knew they would have some disappointment in her if they knew everything that was going on — every rule she has broken. But those painful thoughts didn't stop her sneaker-covered feet from walking up the steps and opening the door that creaked lightly when she did.

The home was simple, and almost bare except for the pictures of the three that was hung proudly on the hallway walls. The home was quaint but it was so evident that her parents cared much for her.

She brushed off her feelings of guilt while shaking the shoes off her feet and plunged up the stairs to her room, not even sparing a glance towards the living room or kitchen.

Her door was cracked open naturally, light shimmering into her room as the lightness of her room felt so freeing. Putting down her bag carelessly she traced her hand over the wood-carved desk noticing the pink journal.

It had been so long since she wrote in it, causing a small amount of dust to form on top of it. Grabbing it she opened it, the first couple of pages being littered with glued down pictures of her as a child and stickers plastered around them.

A smile grazed her mouth as she flipped through the pages. Quickly she noticed the entries she wrote as a child, her messy handwriting and goofy signature she always wrote made her chuckle as she skimmed through what she wrote.

02-23-2005
Hellooo

my wings are growing, it hurts but momma said it will be done hurwting soon. I'm soooo happy to see them, they r so pwertty. as my wings grow my teeth are fwalling out, it verry weird.

She laughed some more of the nonsense she wrote as she continued to flip through until out of nowhere something fell out of the journal.

Keeping her fingers on the page to not lose the spot she was at she bent down noticing the gray feather, it still somehow intact.

She inspected it, rotating it as the sun shined through the ends. Getting up she placed it on the desk and began reading the page where the feather fell out of.

11-04-2010
I got to experience going to earth, it was nice and there was music playing. But then we noticed a bird that was hurt. I got so worried but dad helped it pass peacefully. I hope one day I can help someone or something like they do. I really want to complete a mission. I want to be as great as them!

Her eyes stung for a moment as her eyes fell to the feather, recalling the memories making her twinged in even more guilt. Is she failing them now? Would they be proud of her for trying?

She closed the journal, leaving out the feather as she looked around, trying to push back her feelings, glancing mindlessly on the familiar purple hoodie that was hung on her closet door nicely.

She had never given it back to him. She took strides towards it, ready to take it off the hanger and shove it into her bag to give it to him but as her fingers grabbed it she hesitated.

Would the fabric be one faded memory of the two together? Would it be one of the last things to describe the two?

It left a distaste as dissatisfaction filled her mind. She didn't want them both to go out like a faded memory. She hated it, and she didn't want to just fade away from his mind— if she was even in it, to begin with.

Shaking her head, she slipped out of the room as it started to not feel like relaxation anymore. She trailed down the steps into the living. Observing the home that was familiar but now almost distant.

She hasn't talked to her family in a while.

But her attention was caught, as a shining light reflected down the hall as the office of her dad's —which was normally closed— was opened slightly.

She stepped towards it intending to just shut the door but when she got in front of it, the shiny light became intriguing.

She pushed open the door, looking behind her quickly as the mysterious reflected item was a folder. It looked ethereal and almost too important to just be sitting carelessly on her dad's desk.

For a moment she was contemplating just turning around and forgetting about it, but as she peered at it a little more, she noticed something.

A stamped pair of angel wings.

An engravement is used for official council documents.

"What is something so official doing here?" She whispered to herself as it almost enticed her to open it. It felt too important to just turn around.

"A little peek couldn't do much damage at this point." She muttered.

Opening the folder on the desk, a white paper read.

OFFICIAL RECORDS OF ANGEL CHOI IDALIA

CHOI IDALIA

BORN: SEPTEMBER 9TH, 1998

BIRTH WEIGHT: 6.9 LBS

BIRTH HEIGHT: 18.2 INCHES

TESTED NEGATIVE FOR DEMON BLOOD IN SYSTEM.

PARENTS: CHOI KANGDAE (DECEASED) AND LEE HYERIM (DECEASED)

Her hands shakily dropped the records back on the desk, as she blinked furiously— heat rushing in her cheeks.

Questions swarmed in her head as she took steps back, the file still glowing proudly somehow.

"My parents aren't my parents? Why would I be tested? Were my parents both not angels?" She spoke to herself quietly running her hands through her hair.

In a panic she ran back to the door, sliding on her shoes and going back down to earth.

Because one thing is for sure, she was going to get down to the bottom of this. And once she does a lot more things will start to make sense.

thoughts?

thoughts?