47

song:
siren - taeyeon

BUT AT WHAT COST?

blood moon in 4 days

The past days brought exhaustion, tears, and enchantment as the two soulmates did not see each other much. Even when they did pass each other in the hallway at night. They were both too tired to bask in their respective touch.

Sometimes he gave her a nod, and sometimes she reached for him as he had already delved into his room. It did not compare to the consistent close proximity they had before.

She missed it, and he did too, but it would have to wait.

Through continuous practice, Minghao was honing everything about him that was a half-blood. It was difficult, his bones ached, and his energy was low. But the tiredness was worth it. Minghao was in control. He now understood who he was.

From a new pendant wrapped around her neck, Idalia was learning all the twists and turns of magic. The trinket now being her lifeline, her safety measure in case her abilities as an angel did not obey.

It was an irregular chunk of amethyst, its energy charged from the waters of the Serene Night Coven. It not only surged magic through her but also encased her in protection, dulling those who tried to harm her.

The only weakness, Eunji explained to her, was that those abilities could only work once in full effect. After that, the glowing gem will dim slowly until the energy runs out.

A one-time chance to weaken another power to get the upper hand.

Having a new, mystical energy course through her was enough to drain her energy. An angel honing even a tiny amount of witch magic was demanding because witch magic is not meant for angels. Idalia was persistent. She needed the pendant to become one with her to use it efficiently. So, she learned from Eunji how to control her new energy; to calm the storm.

"Controlled breathing will keep the magic at bay."

What brought exhaustion and a new side of herself also helped her make a friend. Eunji was a marble pillar that stood unbothered from the chaos that Idalia was in. Eunji was not hateful. She did not judge the anomaly that Idalia was. She encouraged it. Idalia never met someone like Eunji. Idalia never really had a friend like her, so this was all the more special.

"I think I want to talk to my aunt and uncle." Idalia, by a stream along with Eunji, admitted. The urge to come clean and tell them everything was more important as the days went on.

She missed them. She wanted the comfort, the safe space that they had. Idalia knew her admitting everything she had done could make them repulse her or even not consider her family. But even in the worst-case scenario, she would like to tell them herself.

"Well, that is brave of you," Eunji spoke as they sat near the stream. "But if that is what you want to do, then you should." She was somehow always supportive, the witch never trying to persuade Idalia's feelings.

"I do, whether the outcome is good or bad is not what I'm worried about. I just don't want them to not hear it from me." She shrugged her shoulders, reaching her hand into the stream of water. Swirling it around as the water almost danced at her touch.

Idalia was persistent. Even her fears did not stop her from flying up to Heaven, her skin inviting the breeze that was wispy and comforting. The only place she used to find safe was now not the only one, but going back was a warm welcome—

—With Jeonghan by her side, he never seemed to not be there to support her. The two stood in front of her home. Her palms clenched in front of her. Although ready to let them know, her mind was still racing, and her body responded correspondingly.