34

song:
scorton's creek - issac dunbar

INTERTWINED EMOTIONS

The nighttime simmered in; the moon was only a crescent but it shone over them as they had now found themselves back in the living room, the small Tv playing something as they sat— this time a little bit closer.

Idalia was trying to keep the focus on the Tv, she wanted to change her focus to something easier to digest than the thoughts that resided in her head.

Her mind was not ready to sleep but her body was; it was emotionally exhausted from everything that had happened. But even when she tried to close her eyes, she could only force them to shut for a minute until they opened again.

Idalia was thinking about what she had said to Minghao. Her words, and how she was so open to death— how completing a mission was the only thing worth living for.

She said that because before she believed it when there was less to uncover, less to know, and less on the line. Back then she was okay with just completing her task.

But when she admitted those words to him and his face contorted into what seemed to be irritation her opinion started to sway.

She started to question herself on the uncomfortable couch. What was she even living for? What did she want for herself?

And when she answered it, truthfully, to herself it wasn't as simple as just completing a mission.

Because once she had given herself time to think, digest what she loves and wanted, everything seemed to become more important, and her new answer was more impactful than before.

Idalia wanted to stay. But how could she?

"Are you tired?" Minghao asked, his voice soft barely loud enough to be distinct from the Tv.

"Not enough."

"Me either."

She smiled softly, not being noticed by him. This was all crazy, how did someone who threatened to kill her a couple of months ago manage to now be able to speak civilly with her?

See, maybe they couldn't change the rules but the two were changing together.

"Remember back in the library when your transformation was activated?" He hummed to her question, "I don't know how but I think I was the one to activate your transformation, it doesn't really make sense though, because they aren't activated by touch but emotion." She paused, turning her head to look at him.

She didn't know how it happened— but Minghao vividly remembered the ruckus that swarmed inside him when her hand latched his wrist.

"But then again you hated me so maybe that's why," She chuckled looking at him. She was joking but at the same time, she was digging for answers from him. She wanted to know how he felt about her— this was the first time she ever wondered.

"I never hated you. I just wanted to avoid you and being rude was the easiest way." His words hit her with surprise, but before she could take it in he continued. "If I were to be near you then I would be admitting that a part of me was just like you."

She understood, but it did dig at her self-esteem, but she nodded pushing past her feelings to let him continue.

"It's not something I'm used to..." He was trying to gain the right words, saying it in a way that she would understand without him looking like a horrible person. Because right now he didn't want to be horrible or mean. "I hate changing."

It was resentment, all these changes that he was just supposed to get used to was hard. Because all he's ever known is being a demon. So changing and becoming at least a half-angel felt wrong. He's disgusted because what he was taught is not what he is now.

It's much harder to change into something that you were designed to hate.

He scoffed towards himself, he still is having a hard time dealing with transforming. Truthfully he doesn't want any sort of angel energy inside him. Although he doesn't hate the sight of a certain angel, he still doesn't want to be one.

They sat in silence, Idalia was trying to gather comforting words to say while he was just frustrated, his mind running all his feelings through him.

"You know that you will always be a demon first right? That's how you grew up, and that's who you will always be. Yes, this is a change, and having your angel side will add to who you are but it won't get rid of who you were. You'll always be who you were because at the end of the day we're all pretty much just people with supernatural energies."

She didn't know if her words were good, they all just spilled out, but it felt nice. Relief was breezing onto her surprisingly, and she hoped he felt the same way.

"So you're saying no matter if you were an angel, demon, human, or any other supernatural you would have given me your scarf to clean my shoes?" He asked, it was a genuine question and it brought back memories of their first encounter.

Her answer was just a simple hum and then she laughed, chuckling to herself about the situation and how all that fear she had that day was gone. Her chuckle made his head tilt in curiosity.

"You're not that angry demon anymore," She smiled softly, "It's so weird to see how everything has changed, I never thought it would be possible to have friends that are demons."

"Who said we were friends?" He teased, his fingers intertwining with each other. Neither one of them noticed that the distance between the two had lessened, nor the unseeable energy that was sparking around them. All they knew was that something was happening with each other but no one could put their finger on it.

"Who said I was talking about you?" She teased back, and she could've sworn she saw a hint of a smile almost crept on his face.

thoughts? honestly i'm enjoying writing the chapters i just don't know if the two have rlly any chemistry?!? but i'm trying hehe