58

song:
nothing ever changes - sody

THE LAST BREATH

—To him, there was nothing more heart-wrenching, more devastating than Idalia on his lap, lifeless, with no response no matter how loud he screamed. Not even the pain that coursed through his shoulder blades could amount to the grief he felt, even as his angel side trickled out of him.

While he screamed, pleading and forgetting all he could do, the soulmate bond, as a reminder floating in the air, its bright and elusive properties being a head-turner. It resembled dust, but it glowed around the particles, almost like the gold that reflected in their veins; only this was more vigorous, brighter, and more powerful.

Like a barrier, similar to the bubble-like sphere it created when it was activated, but unlike before, it was protective, as if the bond wouldn't allow its other half to die like it was ready to propel into his system to save them both.

The scene was tantalizing and unbelievable, like a folk tale coming true, to the point where everything stopped. The ones who knew weakly smiled, and the ones who didn't stop to look were shocked to see what was so evident in front of them. But with a thundering growl above, another shock hit.

The Blood Moon's red glow began to be covered with blackened skies, and now the light felt far away. The sky was quickly changing, and another anomaly, rain pebbled the ground, Hell never having a shower before.

Hypnotized, everyone halted, even Satan, but after a moment of understanding, he only felt his bubbling rage explode again. This was a severe knock to the pillar of his plan, and he was worried his power would crash because of the soulmates.

Something else amidst the glimmer of the bond was equally as powerful, just not as vibrant. The pendant, even after its only use, still had its amethyst luminosity. The two energies were working together, but if asked, no one would know how the magic was still alive if Idalia was not.

Minghao had tunnel vision, and all he could see was her, eyes closed restfully, but the gash on her lip and her dehydrated skin seemed peaceful. With such an intense gaze, he didn't notice a new presence coming from the shadows, nor did he pay any attention to Satan getting closer. Like he was ready to pounce on his prey.

Somewhat like a whirlwind many feet away, Jun with Minyoung appeared, another shocking revelation, but no one expected it this time- except for Minghao.

Even Satan, as he never would've guessed his son's tenacity and fearlessness, as he was used to the son who cowered. Oddly, Satan thought Jun was on his side, but with a quick spell of dark magic, his son's tenacity had been something in the works. He felt fooled.

In his own realm of thorns, Satan was confined in what was barely visible, like sheer fabric. It looked delicate, and the barrier seemed easily penetrable but when Satan moved towards it and placed his palm on it, his veins coursed with something that resembled electricity.

Agonized and quietly panicked, all he could do was observed, and to his shock, he realized he was the only one on his own side. What wasn't sensed earlier became more apparent now; the crowd of supernaturals had depleted. Many were gone from the scene or lifeless on the ground; only the ones who planned for Satan's defeat stood, all needing to catch their breaths.

Chan and Seungkwan tended to the shallowing breathing Joshua, even a witch helped care of him before engulfing them in that familiar smoke, and once it simmered away, the three were gone.

Reckless and maybe more chaos-seeking than Satan himself, Soonyoung, with bloodied fangs and hands, was already long gone before anyone could tell him to. He was somewhere on Earth inciting pointless terror just to fill a hole that ate at every emotion inside of him.