43

song:
always been you - shawn mendes

YOUR GIFT OF SOLACE TO ME

With Eunji back, the two potential soulmates sat across from each other on the floor; nervousness was electrifying between them.

For the angel, she was still waiting for a response from him. Luckily, he didn't seem repulsed. He didn't ignore her, but he also didn't acknowledge her. He was only in his mind, and she was eager to know his thoughts.

Minghao knew her eyes were on him, they hadn't left since he entered the room, but he didn't dare to speak. Because, like her, this was pressure, but for him, his pressure came from not feeling worthy of being her soulmate.

Unworthy of her love or of being her soulmate. Somehow the most insecure spots in his heart didn't want him to feel worthy. It was ridiculous, but even Minghao knew how special soulmates are, so it was easy to fall into insecurity.

"Okay, so the easiest way to see if you two are soulmates is by seeing if you both have the red string." Eunji made it seem simple, and while the two thought it was odd that she was so calm, Eunji did it on purpose. She knew the two were panicking on the inside. She could tell, from the shifting in their place to the playing with their hands. Eunji was a great witch but somehow was better at reading body language.

"How are you going to do that?" Idalia asked gullibly, making Minghao shake his head.

"A spell obviously," She laughed, not in a harsh way but in an endearing one. "It'll show if you both have a red string that connects. If not, nothing with appear. If there is, then you two are soulmates, okay?"

They both nodded, everyone behind Eunji watching. Anticipating, excited but nervous to see if the two were soulmates because if they weren't, they would be back at the drawing board when it came to Idalia's premonitions.

An unknown wind pushed through Eunji's hair, and she held her hands out, almost like she was putting them in their own personal bubble. She closed her eyes. Unlike the spells before, nothing came out of her hands, but in the bubble, she had created a small warm light that grew between them. It radiated on the two's faces as they were looking at each other taking deep breaths.

And like ink appearing on a canvas, the red string began to appear. While it formed between them, Eunji opened her eyes keeping her hands in the same place as she watched the string grow. It eventually reached their respective hands, tied around their ring fingers.

"Oh, my," Idalia was breathless.

"Wow," Minghao exhaled, looking at the string, glittering light around it.

"Well, congratulations soulmates," Eunji smiled, watching the two marvel at the string — and each other, them moving their hands, making sure it was real.

She closed her eyes again, the string slowly disappearing, but the warm glowed stayed as the room stayed quiet, everyone gawking at them.

"So what now," Chan was the first one to speak, the youngest shocked at what he witnessed.

"Her premonition was real... she's going to lose her wings, she's going to die," Jeonghan mumbled, clenching his fists as he looked at the angel sitting down, her enamored by the warm glow.

"There has to be something we can do," Seungcheol assured, "She'll be okay."

"Hao were soulmates," She whispered, looking at him, waiting for hopefully a positive reaction.

"It couldn't be anyone else, sweetheart." His lip corners raised as he reached towards her, grabbing her hand that lay on her lap. Some awed at them, making her scrunched her shoulders in embarrassment. Jeonghan and Seungcheol pulled Jihoon and Eunji to the side, talking about something they couldn't hear.

"So what now?" Idalia asked.

"You guys are going to be total soulmate badasses," Mingyu said, a laughing Seokmin punching his arm playfully.While the news of being soulmates was intense, and it made her heart jitter once again. The realization that her premonition was indeed true and was her future scared her, and unknowing to her, her hand clutched to his tightened, that familiarly distant feeling of burning coursing through her back.

"Are you okay?" He asked, looking down at her as everyone seemed to go their own ways as he took her onto the balcony, so she could say how she felt in private if she needed it.

She just shook her head, her doe-eyes saddening, her lips pouting. "I really am going to die, but I won't even be an angel when I do. He's going to take that away from me."

"Hey, I'm not going to let that happen, I know it's your premonition, but we can change it. I'm your soulmate. I'm not going to let you die." His hand cupped her face. His need to comfort her, to make her feel okay was all that mattered. He was making a promise to her also. Both of them now making promises they might not be able to keep.

"I don't want to die. I know I said that I was okay with dying, that it wouldn't matter if I completed my mission, but my feelings have changed. It's selfish, maybe I shouldn't even be an angel then, maybe I'm not worthy, but I'm not ready to die." Uncontrollably like a water gate, tears slipped down her face as she stripped all her walls down, her vulnerability open to him. Because deep inside she knew he wouldn't judge her.

"It's okay that you don't want to die, nobody does, and Lia you are the best angel out there. Even with the fear of demons, you still reached out to me. You see everyone as equal. If you are not worthy of being an angel then no one is. I promise you'll survive, I'll do anything to make sure of it." With the pads of his fingers, he wiped off her tears, tucking her hair behind her ears, the newly rose sun beside them, it shining on the soulmates.

"Hao, I want to tell you something. I feel like if I don't tell you how I feel now I might not have a chance. Hao I—"

With a knock on the glass door, she wasn't able to finish her sentence. The two looked back to see Eunji, Seungcheol, and Jeonghan sliding the door open.

"I hate to interrupt, but there is a way for you to live Idalia," Eunji announced, and although the news was great she looked hesitant. "But you would have to die first."

i love my trio but they really interrupted when idalia was going to confess her not so subtle feelings

anyways thoughts? only 9 days left in their time till the blood moon, are you all worried, excited, nervous, angry? what do you think will happen to idalia? how upset would you be if she like actually wouldn't survive.

also the song i think really matches, picking a song is kinda my fav part to publishing a chapt