14

song:
only human - wayv

THE TOWER

What is the first thing you do to take care of someone? Idalia had no memories of being taken care of. She has always been on her own, and even her guardians who helped her grow up would never help her unless it had to do with angel problems.

So helping him was nerve-wracking. But knowing it was inevitable she rose going out of the room grabbing a washcloth and dampening it. Before walking back into his room she saw the group of demons eying her discreetly.

Heading back into the darkroom she sat in front of him on the cold floor as his shallow breathing filled the room. Delicately she dabbed the washcloth on his place, hoping it would cool him down.

His eyes were lazily open, trying to stay open because he didn't fully trust her. She could feel that and as she continued cooling him off she had to let her thoughts out, "You know I did come to Hell just to help, if I get caught I'm dead."

It was true, she had no power here, and if she was caught even the heaven council wouldn't save her. He swallowed hard and tried to speak out but his saliva wouldn't be enough to fix his dry throat. Noticing she got up reaching for an opened water bottle and handed it to him and he chugged it down.

"I know," he said simply as she stopped, looking at him, roughly only six inches apart. "But I want to help, trust that this isn't me feeling guilty spilling soda on your shoes." She breathed out. A chuckle escaped his mouth leaning his head back. "Okay."

Still, even with the small change of emotion, he looked horrible. The transformation was stressing his body out and it was still in a huge effect. "You should probably try to rest, and not on the floor."

Nodding he tried to stand up but his body was too weak and it gave out on him before he could sit on the bed. His head hung low from embarrassment as she reached both her arms out. Seeing her attempt he reached so his hands gripped her shoulders. She was his crutch which thankfully made it easier for him to rise to sit right back down on the bed.

Once he was comfortable she was about to head out the door so he could get some shut-eye when his voice spoke up, "Thank you." She nodded, opening the door, "Yell if you need me." Walking into the living room some of the boys had already left leaving a smaller amount to leave her company.

Their eyes shot up to her when his door made a click. Walking over she found an empty spot by Mingyu and sat down sighing after. "How's he holding up?" Mingyu asked. Simply she responded, "So-so hopefully I helped somewhat." She felt useless because everything she had done so far hadn't fixed it. Because she couldn't. This is just a waiting game.

Mingyu, Seungcheol, Hoshi, Wonwoo, and her casually talked, some of them also tried to pry information out of her about Minghao but ultimately she stayed silent knowing it wasn't her place to tell. "So where did the others go?"

"They went to go eat people," Hoshi responded like how you would tell a scary story to children. This made Wonwoo laugh, throwing off Idalia not expecting the cool-headed guy to laugh and it to be so deep. "They all went to do different things," Seungcheol said.

She could tell they weren't letting her on too much, which she understood. She's not telling them much either. Truthfully their conversations ranged from university shenanigans and death. Odd but fitting to say the least.

And what was about two hours later, Idalia felt the need to check up on Minghao, so excusing herself from the conversation she went back into the ironically chilly and dim room. Leaving the door open to allow light in. She could see his figure laying down; drowning in sleep as his eyebrows were scrunched together.

Walking closer she could see newly formed beads of sweat tracing his hairline and his hands were gripping each other. Sitting down on the bed she grabbed the washcloth on the nightstand and used it to soak away the perspiration.

She took one more look before standing up, ready to head back into the living room. But before she could make it out of the room, a cracking sound followed by grunting filled the room. Turning back she could see Minghao now moving messily in the bed.

He was still asleep but his body was contorting. Stiffening in the movements as gold and crimson flowed underneath his skin like the ocean waves. But unlike the peacefulness of the ocean's scenery, the sight was painful; it was overtaking him.

Before she made her way back to the bedside he let out a banshee-like scream; making her stop in place as his voice bounced off the wall. Shooting up, his eyes flashed open and as his body was glowing up the room his hands grabbed the sheets violently; trying to suppress the 'good' from taking over.

Knocking herself out of shock she almost ran over, sitting and grabbing his shoulders as his eyes lit with rage. He was looking straight ahead, paying no mind to Idalia as she even shook his shoulders roughly. He was in a haze.

She couldn't read his face and by now his grunting from fighting off the transformation blended with her shouts —her attempt to get him back. But it was no use as he was completely enthralled with whatever was in his head.

The beads of sweat lined his forehead heavily, his ruby eyes that were now lighting up like electricity, and his skin which looked deadly ethereal.

Like a switch he was convulsing; shaking but somehow still in his haze, he resembled the view of being electrocuted. At this point her arms were cradling him, trying to find some way to knock sense into him. He needed to be back, in reality, it would let him taste relief.

But he was stubborn because inside of him he didn't want the angel side to join him. It was against his nature, he was darkness, that's what he embodied, not the light. But the fight in his mind was destroying him, unaware of everything he continued to stay in his mind; too stubborn to let the light in.

Her adrenaline was off the charts, spiking and not coming down. She was panicking, clueless, and feeling helpless and she tried to bring him back.

She didn't even notice the hot streams of tears escaping her eyes nor her shaking hands. Because at that moment she only was hearing words of discouragement in her head. The blunt negative questioning, "Why do you think you're capable of helping him, you couldn't even help your cousin?"

She was still determined to do something but unknown to her the figures outside could not handle the screams and just sit there, so making the decision they pushed open the door. The silhouettes stopped right at the door, frozen in place. Shocking words and gasps came from them.

"Shit."

The words that flew out of Hoshi's mouth made Idalia turn her head, Minghao's glow encasing her. "I don't know what to do!" She cried out, shaking in her grasp as the boys ran over. But none of them knew what to do either, they even resorted to slapping his face once or twice but nothing was working.

"If he doesn't get out of his head he could die," Her voice was strained, "Come on Minghao, get out of there! Please! Please!" The boys stood helpless as Wonwoo ran out to make a phone call to Jun, hoping he could help. She screamed again, "Minghao get out of there, you're going to die!"

She didn't know but her eyes were blazing, gold swirling rapidly, twinkling. It wasn't just his powers glowing, now hers were activated and as she continued to scream out his glow was fading, the gold dissipating leaving hers to shine.

Then he was back out.

the boys know...