I 22 I

'Hey guys!' A voice calls, belonging to no other than Adrien Agreste. 'What are you two doing here?' He glances up at the  banners and the decoration. 'Oh, is it your birthday today?' 

When Marinette isn't looking, he shoots me a quick wink. I shake my head wildly, glancing nervously at Marinette. 

'Yes, it is,' Mari answers, not stuttering at all. 'You should come to the party!' she suggests, handing him an invitation. 

'Oh-I uh-yeah,' Adrien scratches the back of his head anxiously, looking away for a second. He returns his gaze to Marinette, quickly letting his green eyes linger on me before glancing at the ground. 'I'd like to come, but I have a photo shoot. I'll have to ask my father if it's alright.' 

'No problem,' Marinette shrugs, shooting me an awkward glance. 'Excuse me, I need a word with my dear sister for a second.' 

Adrien nods, turning around and heading back in the direction he came from. I watch as he retreats through the park, ducking under the bridge and disappearing from sight. 

'So....' I trail off at her expression. 

Mari's eyebrows raise, and her mouth turns up in a smirk. 'Adrien certainly couldn't keep his eyes off you.' She says. 'I thought you were dating Cat Noir?' 

'I am.' I say quickly. 'I am dating Cat Noir!' 

'So then why did Adrien give me the impression he's into you?' Marinette asks, tilting her head to the side. 'Hmmm?' 

'He was probably just being friendly. Besides, we don't even know if he's going to be able to make it to the party, didn't you hear what he said?' I explain rapidly. 

The problem with this is...I do like Adrien, and Cat Noir-who both happen to be the same person. Unfortunately, Mari can't know this because then she'll know Cat Noir's secret identity.

On the other hand, she might think I'm cheating on him if I show any interest whatsoever in Adrien. You could say I'm a whisker away from a whole world of trouble, pun intended. 

'That's true...' She looks thoughtful. 'I'm sure you wouldn't do anything to hurt Cat Noir. But just be careful. You don't want to give Adrien the wrong impression.' 

Behind Marinette's back, Tikki flits out from her purse, a concerned expression plastered across her delicate features. She opens her mouth to say something, but shuts it again, flying back inside. 

Even the Kwami knows how angry Marinette will be when she finds out. 

...

'So how are you planning to be Adrien and Cat Noir at the same time, Kitty?' I ask, leaning back onto Adrien's chest. He shifts around a bit, messing up the neatly stacked pillows on my bed. 

'What do you mean?' Adrien asks, wrapping both arms around me and kissing me on the cheek. 

'You told the group you'd be there as Cat Noir, and then you told Mari, you'd be there as Adrien,' I explain with a small smile. 

His eyebrows crease slightly, and a lock of hair falls into his face. 'I'll just go as Cat Noir. That way I can at least talk to you without worrying about other people finding out my identity.' 

'What about if you transform back?' I say worriedly. 

'I won't use my cataclysm.' Adrien reasons. 

I sigh loudly, turning around to face him. 'I'm tired of these secrets, Kitty. I just want to be with you in public without worrying about all this.' 

'You should've picked a normal boyfriend,' he chides gently, resting his hands on both sides of my face. 

'But I wanted you.' I pout with a grin. 'Who cares about normal.' I sniff. 

'Y/n, it's going to be fine. Eventually, when Hawkmoth is defeated, you can 'break up' with Cat Noir, and then be with me.' Adrien says confidently. 

'I just don't want people to think I'm a bad person.' I whisper. 

'Isn't it more important that the people you're closest to think you're amazing?' He smiles. 'All our friends know how incredible you are y/n. The rest of the world doesn't matter.'