Chapter 24: Preliminary Exam

Third-person P.O.V

"Uh... We have to have a preliminary exam before we can move on to the real one," Hayate announced with a sick raspy voice. All the teams looked at him in confusion.

"A what?" Sakura asked

"Preliminary?! Just what do you mean by that?" Shikamaru yelled with irritation.

"I'm sorry, sensei, excuse me, but I really don't see the point. What's this preliminary all about? Why can't we just move onto the third exam?" Sakura asked.

"Uh... Well, you see the first and second exams might have been too easy. The fact is we never expected so many of you to still be here. According to the rules of the Chunin exams, a preliminary round can be held at any stage to reduce the number of candidates remaining."

"Uh, but is that fair?"

"It's just that at this stage, we have to speed things a bit. As Lord Hokage said, a lot of important guests will be watching. We can't afford to waste their time. They've come to see only the best. So if any of you feel you're not in top physical condition, now's your chance to" he started coughing badly again.

"Speak for yourself. Top physical condition," Aito muttered with a sweatshop while Misumi nodded in agreement.

After Hayate was done coughing he spoke up, "Sorry about that as I was saying. If any of you don't feel up to this, now the time for you to back out. The preliminary rounds will start immediately."

There the faint sound of arguing coming from team seven between Sauske and Sakura.

"Naruto," Sasuke said turning around to look at Naruto once the arguing about Sakura telling Sasuke to quit because of the curse mark came to an end.

"Huh?" Naruto asked.

"You're one of the ones I want to fight the most."

"So does any what to drop out?" Hayate asked. All he got in return was silence nobody was dropping out.

"Alright, then. We will now begin the preliminary round. This round will consist of one-on-one individual combat at full battle intensity. This is not an exercise. There are 24 of you remaining, so that means we will need thirteen matches. The surviving candidates from these thirteen matches will advance to the third exam. As for the rules, there are none. You will fight until one dies or concedes defeat or is rendered physically incapable of continuing the contest. Naturally, those who are losing are urged to concede defeat promptly to avoid a fatal outcome. Furthermore, as the proctor, I'm giving a certain amount of leeway in judging the matches. I might occasionally intervene if a match seems hopeless to save as many lives as possible. Now it's time to reveal what fate has been chosen for you." Hayate said.

Hayate turned his head towards Anko and she nodded.

"Open the panel." She said and something lifted up. "The names of each pair of opponents are chosen completely at random. Before each match, these names will appear on the display behind me. As there's nothing more to say, let's begin. In a moment, the names of the first two opponents will appear."

Different names were scrambling on the screen.

In yellow letters, it read, Yoroi Akado Vs. Sasuke Uchiha.

"Alright now. Those whose names have been drawn, come forward." Sasuke and the guy who is Kabuto's teammate stepped forward.

***

Kaiya's P.O.V

All the team participants were now gathered at the upper balcony to watch the first preliminary match. My team was standing in a corner not too far away from Team seven. I could feel my two teammate's eyes on me most likely still concerned about my the mark on my neck.

"You have been chosen for the first match, Yoroi Akado, and Sasuke Uchiha. Are there any objections?" Hayate asked.

"None here," Sasuke said

"No," Yoroi said.

"Then if you're ready, let the match begin," Hayate said crossing his hands.

"Oh, I'm ready," Yoroi said putting his hands up.

Sasuke got in his stance and said "So am I."

Yoroi threw shurikens at Sasuke but Sasuke got his kunai out and yelled as he threw it, causing the shurikens to go back at Yoroi. It looked like the mark bothered Sasuke and he fell on his stomach. His eyes widened when he realized that Yoroi was gone. He moved out of the way just in time and Yoroi stabbed the ground.

'I almost forgot that Aito mentioned Sasuke having the same mark as me on the way to the tower.'

Sasuke stuck his kunai into the ground and spun his body around and kicked Yoroi's arms. Since Yaroi was still holding onto the kunai stuck into the ground he was knocked back.

Sasuke grabbed his other arm and it made Yaroi fall on his back. The position he was in was really confusing but it looked painful.

"Hey, he got him!" Naruto yelled.

'No, I don't think it's over yet." I thought looking at Sasuke's opponent having a feeling something was up.

Yaroi moved his hand to grab Sasuke's shirt and sent chakra to his hand. Sasuke was acting like he was paralyzed. Yaroi lifted up his arm and slammed it back down in Sasuke's chest.

Yaroi got up and jumped back. Sasuke was grabbing his chest and still wasn't getting up. Yaroi ran forward.

Sauske sat up but he wasn't fast enough. Yaroi jumped forward and grabbed his head. Sasuke screamed in pain as he tried to get his hand off. His hand fell down slowly while the other one still tried desperately to get his hand off. Yaroi laughed as Sasuke grunted in pain.

🐍🐍🐍

Hey lovely readers.

I hope you enjoy this chapter.

Don't hesitate to let me know what you think of this story.

Also, don't forget to vote and comment.

Q: What was your favorite part of this chapter?

Q: What do you think of the start of the preliminary rounds?

Q: Who do want to see Kaiya fight against?

Thanks for reading!