xlv

Mature content, viewer discretion advised.

Thursday came quicker than expected and it was Christmas Eve, which Maddie used to her favor for coming up with an excuse to leave the house. After helping Molly with some preparations for dinner, she got dressed in an all black outfit so she could blend in with the weird people that could be found in the location the unknown person asked her to be. She went down the stairs with her coat and bag in hand and when she reached the door handle, the Weasley matron appeared from behind her.

"Madeleine dear, where are you going?" Molly raised her brows and looked at her suspiciously.

"I have some last minute Christmas shopping to get done Mrs Weasley, I'll be back for dinner" she said casually.

"Oh darling, I don't want you to go by yourself. Why don't you go with Fred and George instead of going alone?" Molly pinched her cheek and on queue the twins apparated behind her mother making her shriek.

"It's fine Mrs Weasley, really. I know how to look out for myself and I won't take too long, I promise" she smiled.

"We can go" both twins said.

"You can't come because I need to get your presents" she lied.

"Very well dear but don't stay out too long, it's not safe out there" Molly shook her head and went back to the kitchen.

Before Fred and George could get overprotective, Maddie had already slipped out the door and apparated to Diagon Alley. Snow was falling everywhere and the magical street was crowded with wizards and witches doing their final shopping trip before Christmas. With her head down, Madeleine walked to Knockturn Alley with her wand in hand, hidden by the sleeve of her coat and once she spotted the odd shop she stood in the dark alley behind and looked at her watch. It was about to be four o'clock when a tall slim figure wearing a expensive looking travelling cloak approached her. She lowered her hood and looked at the woman standing in front of her and chuckled dryly.

"I should have known, N.M. Narcissa Malfoy" Madeleine said looking into the cold blue eyes of the woman who was her aunt.

"Not here, take my arm" she said and without thinking twice Maddie took it and the familiar feeling of apparating washed over her.

The two of them arrived to the entrance of Malfoy Manor and part of her felt that she had already been there. The house was gloomy and the lingering darkness in the air felt gut-wrenching as Madeleine followed Narcissa to a private chamber that looked like a drawing room. From the corner of her eye she saw the pale figure of Draco Malfoy who stood on the grand stairway trying to hear a glimpse of the conversation that was about to take place. Narcissa closed the door and with a wave of her wand Maddie knew that they wouldn't be bothered. The older woman graciously motioned for her to seat and when she did a house elf appeared with trays of tea sandwiches and pastries as well as a pot with tea and coffee.

"Draco mentioned that you are not a tea drinker, he heard you talking with your friends and you said you preferred coffee" Narcissa said as the house elf gave Madeleine a cup.

"Thank you" she said to the house elf who looked as if it would cry just from hearing those two words, the elf disapparated and silence fell into the room as the two of them looked at each other.

"So now that you have led me into the serpent's mouth, what is it that you want to tell me? I am sure you did not summon me for an afternoon snack" Maddie said sharply and set the delicate cup down.

"You are nothing like Cressida, I must say. Straight forward like Bella, I can see the resemblance now," Narcissa said.

"What is it that you want? I'm not here to play games and there are a million other things I would rather be doing right now," Maddie rolled her eyes.