ciii

On Christmas Eve night, Maddie was sitting on Fred's lap with her head resting on his shoulder as Andromeda levitated the dessert plates to each person while Sirius cut up slices of the pie his goddaughter had made. Mamie was speaking with Alicia and getting acquainted because it was barely the second time they had ever talked to each other. Harry and Ginny were playing with Teddy on the carpet, while trying to be oblivious at the tension that lingered between them and Draco who sat with his girlfriend on the other side of the living room as Astoria talked to Cressida about something Ministry related. Narcissa was chatting with Kreacher and Timothée, and overall, Madeleine thought that it was one of the strangest ensembles she had ever seen.

"Next year Teddy will be playing with the little beans," Fred said quietly in her ear while he rubbed her belly, feeling the babies' kicks.

"Tell me about it," she smiled. "In a year our lives will be so different."

"A good different I hope," he kissed her temple.

"Of course it will be a good different," she turned around and pushed his hair back.

"So lovebirds," Andromeda grinned and placed three slices of pie on her niece's plate. "When are we finding out the sex of the babies?"

"I'm curious about that too!" Narcissa said loudly.

"You surely must know by now," Cressida added.

"We will find out when they're born," Maddie said plainly. "And no, none of you will change my mind about this because I know of your little family running bet about my children."

"How did you-"

"Your minds are always too open," Maddie rolled her eyes. "All of you should brush up on occlumency because I found out the moment I set foot on the doorway."

"That's my girl," Fred smirked.

"The only one who's mind I couldn't see was Draco's so good job cousin, you know how to keep your mind shut," Maddie said.

"Thanks," Draco muttered.

"Well, no matter the sex of the babies," Mamie stood up to serve glasses of cognac. "You surely have to teach them about veela history and French of course, no great-grandchildren of mine will not know their family's origins and the original language of their ancestors."

"We hadn't discussed that yet but thanks for reminding me," Maddie mumbled.

"Same applies to you Timothée, I want all of my great-grandchildren to be educated in their ancestry and in French language and history," the pure veela said sternly. "Compris ou pas?"

"Oui mamie," Tim and Madeleine replied almost robotically making Fred and Alicia hold back a snort at their unusual submissiveness.

"What about names Madeleine?" Mamie asked causing all eyes to turn to the blonde.

"We actually haven't discussed names Mamie," Fred replied when he noticed that his wife was at loss of words.

"Will it be something related to French at least?" Mamie demanded.

"I don't know, we have to think about it," Maddie stuttered.

"What kind of nonsense is that, you surely must use traditional French names-"

"No, we will use the names that click for us and them once they're here so you will hear their names when they're born and when we decide them of course," she stammered.

"Madeleine, children are not like stuffed animals whose name you choose when you buy them," Mamie retorted. "Naming children take months of planning and name drafts and-"