lxxi

Nearly a month and a half had passed since they lost the baby but Fred and Madeleine were truly doing better. George was in fact right, it was easier as they went through their loss together rather than apart. The younger twin decided to stay in Percy's old room for the time being, knowing that both his twin and the blonde needed their own space after everything that they went through.

Madeleine woke up in the early afternoon, completely disoriented without Fred by her side like usual but before panic could begin to bubble in her , she heard a loud crash of metal pots and pans against the floor downstairs so she knew that would probably be him. She threw on one of his old jumpers on top of the oversized shirt she was wearing, that also happened to be his, and went downstairs to wrap her arms around him from behind.

"Where's everybody?" she pressed a soft kiss on his back before he turned around to meet her eyes.

"They went to visit Muriel," he cupped her cheek and tenderly kissed her lips. "Wanna go for a walk? We haven't left the house in a while."

"Okay," she nuzzled his palm.

"We can go to the pond and have a picnic, does that sound good?" he said and she hummed contently in response.

"I'm gonna go take a shower," she nodded and kissed the top of his knuckles before going back upstairs.

After taking a quick shower, Maddie and Fred walked hand in hand towards the back garden where the large green pond full of frogs was. He laid down the picnic blanket on the grass before setting down the basket and sitting down, patting the space next to him so that she could lay on the blanket.

"You know we could have just gone back to the house for food right? A basket wasn't needed," she chuckled as he started taking out different types of sandwiches, bottles of butterbeer and different snacks.

"Can you let me be romantic for once woman?" he shook his head and wrapped his arm around her waist.

"Okay, Mr Romantic, I'll let you just this once," she teased and rested her head on his shoulder as they silently watched the frogs hopping around happily.

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm feeling good," she nodded lightly. "I was thinking that tomorrow we can start helping muggle-borns again, I'm feeling good enough to apparate."

"Mads, maybe we should wait a bit longer love-"

"We've waited long enough and I haven't been useful in weeks," she pouted. "You have the Potterwatch thing with Lee and Remus and Sirius and Kingsley but I don't have anything but helping muggle-borns."

"I just want to make sure you're entirely okay before we start that again. I want to keep you safe and it's not safe out there," he said stroking her cheek with his thumb.

"I know but I'm okay now, I promise," she smiled.

They stayed in comfortable silence for a while as they laid on the blanket, her head on his chest and arms draped around him as they watched the white clouds move in the grey sky. "That one definitely looks like a niffler," Fred grinned and pointed at one of the oddly shaped clouds.

"It doesn't look like a niffler, it's way too big to be a niffler," she shook her head smiling.

"Instead of moving more people straight away why don't you come with me tomorrow for the Potterwatch thing? It's less distance and you'll side-along apparate with me," Fred turned his head to face her.

"Fine, but I'm fine Freddie. I'm feeling better every day," she said and gave his hand a reassuring squeeze.

"I know but that doesn't mean that I'll start worrying less about you," he said softly and stood up, extending his hand so that she could stand up as well. "Come on."