Ep 62: The Unforgiving Princess

Kai's POV

"They're doing WHAT?!" I exclaimed. "Boss! Don't yell in my ear please," said Joohyun, "And yes, they are having dinner right now on their rooftop." I scowled and said, "Even after I told Y/N that there was someone who wanted to hurt them? She must be crazy!" "So, what are you gonna do about it?" Joohyun asked. "Just keep a watch on them! I will send a few more people to you. If something bad happens..." I said. "You will kick me out," said Joohyun, sarcastically, "Yeah, I know!" "Then keep your eyes peeled and hang up now!" I snapped, cutting off the phone. "What happened this time?" said the man who was sitting in front of me and playing with a gun, "What are my sisters up to?" "They are having fun sleeping on the rooftop," I replied, making a face. "But didn't you say it wasn't safe for them until you catch that man," he said. "I did," I said, sinisterly.

"But I am surprised," I said softly, as I saw that his eyes flashed worry, "Shouldn't you hate Lee? Why are you still intent on helping him out?" "I couldn't hate him," he said, smiling, as he twirled the gun round and round in his hand, "She told me not to... Whatever happened, I promised her that I would be on his side." "So you're trying to be cool," I said, shaking my head, "When he doesn't know about your very existence." "He will know... One day he will," he said, standing up, "I will wait for that day, because I am the first Lee."

Nayeon's POV

We had our dinner and after putting the dishes away, we settled down on the mattresses to play games and just spend time together. I was happy to watch them all, but inside I was wondering if this was my right place. What if she was still alive? I would be with my own family then... I got up and walked to the other side of the terrace. The night was cold and I pulled my coat around myself for some warmth. As I watched the full moon swimming in the sky, I was reminded of my little escape from my house after I had unwittingly killed my baby sister.

~Flashback~

"I really, really hate you huh?" I said, making a face as the baby in the pram drunk the milk from the bottle I had given her. "You look kinda cute," I said, grudgingly. I stared at my little sister with big eyes as she suddenly stopped moving. "Huh?" I said, shaking her slightly. White, bubble-like things were coming out of her mouth. "Eomma!" I screamed. "What is it now, Nayeon-ah? Did Miyeon drink her milk?" my mom called out from the kitchen.

~Flashback ends~

Never accept things from strangers. I never really knew the importance of the sentence and I talked to an old man in the park. I was staring at my parents who were playing with my baby sister. This was what happened every time after she was born. "Feeling left out, child?" the old man had asked me. I had nodded and said, "I hate that she was born." "Here then," he had said, "Let me help you get rid of her." I wanted to scream loudly as I remembered how I had accepted the packet from the man and added it to my sister's milk out of jealousy. I was the reason she died from poisoning. My parents probably never found out, but I couldn't live watching them suffer because of me.

They broke when Miyeon died. My mom nearly went crazy because it had been hard to give birth to Miyeon... I felt suffocated and began walking farther away from the others. "Unnie," said a voice. "Oh... Dahyun-ah," I said. "Are you okay?" she asked. "Yeah," I said. "Are you still thinking about Miyeon?" Dahyun asked, softly. My eyes stung and I nodded. "Don't," she said, taking my hand and stroking my wrist gently, "You have already punished yourself enough." I looked at my wrist to see the thin scar which still showed the fact that I was someone who did not deserve to live. Dahyun obviously read my mind and said, "Don't even think about it! Everyone deserves to live." I sighed and shook my head. "You won't understand," I said, "The guilt is still heavy on my heart."

Dahyun stared at me for a few minutes in silence. "How long?" she asked. "Huh?" I said. "How long are you gonna punish yourself like this?" she asked. "I am not," I said, "I am living a good life now... When I don't deserve it at all. I hate myself." I felt pathetic as I looked away. "Unnie, don't be like this... You know you have tried to make up for it," said Dahyun, "You are the best sister we could ever have had. You always listen to our troubles and try to solve our problems. You are reliable, sweet and really helpful. You are the one that keeps us together all the time. If you crumble, the rest of us would crumble too. Please stop blaming yourself." "It's true that I tried my best to be a good sister to you... But this is my second chance you know," I said.

"So what if it's a second chance?! You should do your best. You are alive and that's what matters the most!" said Dahyun, "Do you think Miyeon wants you to live under a burden?" "I would never know," I said, bitterly, "She's dead." "It was that man's fault! What kind of a human gives a five year-old poison?!" said Dahyun, her face turning red. I could tell that she was getting angry. "He was just a psychotic person who probably had nothing to lose," I said, "I shouldn't have talked to him in the first place. Mom always told me to stay away from strangers... But I was jealous... Jealous of all the attention Miyeon was getting." "I was jealous of my brother sometimes too," said Dahyun. "But you didn't kill him," I said, "I liked Miyeon too, when she cutely smiled at me, but I was blinded by jealousy..."

"We all have a fatal flaw," said Dahyun, "One which could cause us a lot of harm... Mine is anger. Yours was jealousy but you have gotten over it pretty well. Just let your past fade away, like these scars on your wrist." "I am trying," I said. "That's good! And now, come on! We've to sleep!" said Dahyun, "It's pretty late." Just like before, it's still her who tries to pull me out of my darkness. "UNNIE! DAD! NAYEON-UNNIE IS DYING!" I sighed as I remembered Dahyun's screams when she had found me on the floor, blood flowing out of my cut-open wrist. I had tried to kill myself. "Nayeon, my child," dad had said, when I had woken up in the hospital, "I adopted you because I wanted you to live a good life. You are very precious. Your life is very precious. Promise me you won't try to kill yourself again! Just forgive yourself and live a long life for me, princess." I had promised him that I would live a good life and that I would take care of all my sisters. I nodded as I walked back to the others with Dahyun. I don't intend to break my promise, ever.

~To be continued~

Thank you for reading! I love you❤