//Book 3// ~ The Missing Link

3rd Person POV
"Is that our invitation to the Leviathan ship?" Brainy asks, walking in

"I really have to put a bell on you." Lex mutters. "No, but I'm close. I think Gemma Cooper is warming to me. And when she sees my newest present, she'll roll out the red carpet."

"Another present like the Sun-Eater?" Brainy asks. "I'm a twelfth level intellect. Did you really think I wouldn't connect the dots?"
"What's your point?" Lex asks

"I... I know that you've been cozying up to Gemma Cooper for strategic reasons, but there's a distinction between manipulating Leviathan and helping them destroy the world!" Brainy yells

"What kind of operation do you think this is?" Lex yells back. "Mr. Smith Goes to Leviathan? Sometimes, to get what you want, you have to play a little dirty. I cannot get that invitation unless they think I'm on their side and if that means helping them get a weapon or two, so be it."

"People could've died." Brainy tells him. "My friends could've died."

"Three months ago, you said that Leviathan was our biggest threat, that if we didn't defeat them, the global repercussions would be catastrophic." Lex says. "Millions dead, us and the Supers included. And your very words were, 'The only way that you could successfully defeat them was by working with me, by trusting me.' So, trust me now... because I know what you're thinking. You're thinking that if you can get the location of the Leviathan ship before I get that invitation, you can maybe end this before anyone gets hurt. But that's your anxiety thinking, not logic. I don't want your friends to die either, but sometimes, for the greater good, you have to break a few super-eggs."

"And you expect me to just stand back while Leviathan tries to kill my friends?" Brainy asks

"I expect you to trust the process." Lex tells him. "War is brewing between Leviathan and the Supers and you are not to intervene." And with that, Lex walks out

...from outside of the DEO, Marvin and Willow watch on the tablet...

Marvin and Willow, both sharing one earbud as they watch the security feed from their bugs in the DEO, share a look

"Is my mission still the same, sir?" Willow asks in a whisper, taking out her earbud

"You have not had a mission since Base Ops fell." Marvin reminds her once again in a whisper, taking his own earbud out. "But if you would like that same mission under your own terms...then you may have it."

"I want it." Willow tells him. "I want to protect Supergirl at all costs."

"I know you do." Marvin tells her. "Which is why I'm modifying the mission. I want you to protect Supergirl but I also want you to protect yourself." He tells her. "Willow Greene, I know Base Ops made you feel like nothing but a tool, but I know that you have worth and you need to see that too. So we can resume mission and protect Supergirl but this time, you will protect yourself as well. Understand?"

"Yessir." Willow says with a nod

"Good." Marvin says and then he cracks a smile. "And you know you haven't had to call me 'sir' since Base Ops fell."

"You're right." Willow says with a smile. "Yes, dude." She says

"Okay, maybe not that." Marvin says and Willow lets out a small laugh

***

"So, we tried to find Leviathan's last known location." Supergirl says

"There's no trace, no hidden signs, no radiation. Even the elevator was gone." Alex says

"J'onn is out scanning for any other signs of Leviathan right now." M'Gann says

"We don't even know if their headquarters are in National City on this Earth." Dreamer points out