Yoshiwara Arc- I

After hearing from Gintoki that Otose-san's health dropped a bit, i decided to visit her. Opening the door, i was met by a cute little boy who was sitting beside Gintoki. "Ara, isn't it Hanae? Been a while since you last came" Otose-san smiled at me. "I really am sorry for not visiting frequently. You know how business is" i smiled handing her the gift basket. It contained fruits and packets full of nutritious food for older people. "You always do this everytime you come. It's not necessary you know?" "Otose-san, please. Let me take care of my dear ones" i smiled before looking at the kid. "And who might this cutie be?" i crouched down to his level and cleaned his mouth with my sleeve. "S-Seita des" he averted his eyes and blushed hard. "That's a very sweet name" i smiled at him warmly before looking at Otose-san. She hinted me to take a seat which i did beside Gintoki.

Seita talked about his situation and as he did, i felt as if someone twisted my heart with a knife. "I desperately did anything for money, even stupid things like stealing" he weeped. There was a moment of silence until i spoke up. "You're getting your priorities backwards, Seita-kun. Do you think that your mother would like it if she knew about this?" the boy stared at me in shock. "Come work for me. It may not be enough to see a Yoshiwara woman yet but i can help you. What do you say?" i gave him a toothy grin. The boy trembled in his seat, tears fell from his eyes. Oh shit, is it something i said? "Thank you.. thank you very much" i breathed out a sigh of relief and looked at Otose-san. She gave me a proud and satisfied smile. "Alright if the conversation here is over, then I'd like to take now" i said. "All yours" she chuckled at me. "Can i come too?" Gintoki looked at me with puppy eyes. "No"

"Where are we going?" Seita asked as i grabbed his hand. "Shopping!" i said excitedly. He blinked a couple of times before i pulled him along with me. After i was done buying stuffs for him, i took him to my apartment to give him a makeover. "Take off your clothes" i pulled up my sleeves. "I-I can do it by myself" he took a step back. "Oh no, no one's saving you from me now hehe" i grinned at him before taking off his clothes. Washing every part of his body with care, he was now squeaky clean. "You'll stay here with me and two big sisters. Now let's go to my restaurant and give you a tour of it" i said before pulling on his hand.

"Miriko, Kiriko, this is Seita. Seita, they are the ones who'll teach you the basics. If you have any queries or any problem, do let me know. Don't burden yourself by hiding everything in you" "A-Alright" he smiled, his cheeks flushed. "Now, off to work!"

Seita was unexpectedly a quick learner. But it was a good thing and made things easier. Although at first he did a few mistakes here and there but soon he regained himself. The customers loved his cheerful nature and the twins adored him. He was soon famous in the restaurant. The only thing i hoped was that the smile he showed to us was not fake. I took the kids to parks and festivals and brought them stuff so that they have a good time. The Yorozuya's sometimes visited us and chatted with him. I smiled at the kids while Gintoki smiled at me. "Itching for a beating?" "With pleasure" he smiled flirtatiously. Ugh men i rolled my eyes at him.

After a few weeks, I visited Otose-san's place again while the kids looked after my restaurant.
O- How's the kid doing? Is he used to the environment?
H- He's getting used to it. He seems better than before actually. Seita is clever, honest and learns his work quickly.
i smiled recalling about it.
G- He probably knows he has no way out. He's been through quite a lot for a kid.
H- No, trust me. He has changed. The look in his eyes has gotten better. Reminds me of you when we first met and then how you changed a lot.
G- Oh? You remember that? Why? Did you already found me amusing?
he grinned at me from ear to ear.
H- You wish. Father described you as a cute little demon. That's how i-
i stopped on my tracks and shook my head.
H- Anyhow, Otose-san, could you tell me about Yoshiwara please?
O- Why? Do you plan to go there?
G- What are you talking about? Hanae won't go. It's a place where men's dreams are granted.
i sighed at his words and so did Otose-san.
O- There's a dark side to Yoshiwara.
her face turned serious as she spoke. She told us about Hosen- the king of the night, the owner of Yoshiwara and the most powerful man there. She explained to us how dangerous he was.
H- He does sound dangerous..
i crossed my arms and thought about it.
Right after that, Gintoki got up and slided the door open.
G- King of the night, huh?
a smile played on his lips before he went away.
O- Hanae, promise me. Under no circumstances would you two come across Hosen. That guy isn't human.
she gripped on my hands tightly, almost as if a mother worried about her children.
H- Otose-san..
i covered her hands with mine in an assuring manner
H- You know how he is. But, I will prevent anything happening if it threatens his life. That man has my support.
i smiled warmly at her.
H- Well, thanks for the drink and take care of yourself. I'll go now as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------

To be continued.