Chapter Forty-Nine: Meet the Parents

"We're here," Alvin said as he pulled up in front of his house. Actually, it was more like an hacienda in the middle of the Metro. The surrounding grounds were very spacious that it could accommodate indoor and outdoor pools.

"Wow, it's... been so long since the last time I've been here," Elizabeth said, remembering how they used to go in each other's houses a lot since they were childhood friends.

"Yeah," Alvin said. "I thing we were still freshmen when you went here last. Why did you stop going here anyway? Mom and Dad used to always ask me about you."

"Oh you know," Elizabeth teased. "You started going out with all these girls..."

"Ahhh... You know what they say, past is past."

"Agree," Elizabeth smiled.

"Let's go?" Alvin got out of the car and opened her door for her.

Elizabeth was starting to feel nervous again. The last time she saw Alvin's parents were three years ago and she and Alvin were just friends then, They treated her fine, and she always felt welcome in their house but she was nervous that they might treat her differently this time now that she was Alvin's girlfriend.

When they got inside the front door, Alvin's parents were on their way down the stairs. Elizabeth took a deep breath and she felt Alvin squeezed her hand in assurance. She also felt a little relieved when she saw that Mr. and Mrs. Lopez were smiling at her.

"Good evening, Tito Arthur, Tita Maxine," Elizabeth greeted them.

"Elizabeth, darling, how are you?" Mrs. Maxine Lopez said as she kissed her on the cheek after which Mr. Arthur Lopez gave her a small hug.

"I'm doing good, Tita," Elizabeth answered. "How about you?"

"Oh everything's grand dear," Mrs. Maxine replied. "Especially now you and Alvin are finally together! Oh I've been waiting for this day since you first–"

"Honey, you're embarrassing Elizabeth," Mr. Arthur interrupted with a smile. "Come now, let's continue this over dinner."

They all went to the dining room, and sat on chairs propped on the sides of a long, elegant wooden table.

"Excuse me, Sir, Ma'am," a maid cut in. "Miss Alyssa..."

"Alyssa?" Alvin said. "I'll go get her. Don't worry about it Mom, Dad."

Elizabeth looked quizzically at Alvin but he just smiled at her.

"I'll be right back," Alvin said before leaving.

"Uhm... Tita, who is Alyssa?" Elizabeth asked, unable to contain her curiosity.

"Oh Alvin hasn't told you yet?Elizabeth, darling, Alyssa is our daughter!"

"Oh!" Elizabeth said, realizing who Alyssa was.

"You don't look that much surprised," Mr. Arthur smiled. "Guess you really are a Natividad. Alyssa is the child of a friend of mine who was based in Hong Kong. They... they died in an accident. They had no other relatives and she is our goddaughter anyway, we just decided that we wanted her to be our daughter and be formally a part of our family."

"Besides, I've always wanted a daughter," Mrs. Maxine said. "And Alyssa is such a dear."

"Uhm, I did hear rumors about you adopting, Tito... but I didn't know that she was your friend's child. And that she's already here," Elizabeth said.

"Because I wanted it to be a surprise," Alvin said as he reentered the room. "Babe, I want you to meet my sister, Alyssa Lopez."

Alvin gestured to the little girl, about five-years old, dressed in a frilly pink dress and black flats and clutching Alvin's hand. Elizabeth stood up and walked over to them. She bent down so that she was eye-level with Alyssa.