Chapter Thirty-Five: AvoiDANCE

The gym was packed with people waiting for the concert to begin. At the backstage, the pep squad was huddled in a corner, already dressed and dolled up, while Elizabeth was encouraging them with a pep talk.

"Okay, squad, let's make this the best concert ever shall we?" Elizabeth said. "We practiced long and hard for this so I know we'll do our best tonight!"

"Yeah!" the pep squad shouted.

"Good luck and break a leg, everyone!" Elizabeth said.

Everyone wished each other good luck and they dispersed, and did last minute preparations and arrangements.

Chandria, Elizabeth, and Alexis were left behind. Alexis started stretching but the other two just stood there, watching her.

"Hey, are you two okay?" Alexis asked. "Liz, I noticed you're distracted about something. And Ria, you're beyond distracted. You have this dazed look on your face."

Her best friends didn't seem to notice her so Alexis walked closer to them and snapped her fingers in front of their faces.

"Hey!" Alexis called their attentions again. "I asked you two a question."

"Huh? What did you say?" Elizabeth said, snapping out of it.

"I asked if you're okay," Alexis said.

"Of course I am," Elizabeth said. "Just nervous."

"You, nervous?" Alexis said. "Since when did you get nervous?"

"Since now," Elizabeth answered. Elizabeth walked over to the curtain that separated them from the audience and looked around. Alexis followed her then she peeped out too.

"We have a full house tonight," Alexis commented. "But it's not like you haven't performed in front of big audiences before, Liz."

"Do you see Alvin?" Elizabeth asked.

"Is that why you're nervous?" Alexis said, smiling. "So you're finally warming up to him, huh?"

"Whatever, just help me look for him," Elizabeth said, blushing.

She hadn't seen him since that morning she went with Marco instead of staying with Alvin. Of course, she became busy with practice after talking with Marco but she wanted to talk to Alvin before the show started because she didn't want him to misunderstand what happened. She wanted to explain herself at least although she wouldn't be able to tell him the real reason why. She had finally realized her own feelings and was ready to acknowledge them.

"Why did you keep denying your feelings anyway?" Alexis said, helping her look.

"Yeah, as if you're not denying your feelings for Wolf too," Elizabeth retorted. "Who's playing hard to get now?"

"At least I didn't go out with Marco! Right, Ria?" Alexis teased Elizabeth.

Chandria didn't reply. She was still staring at the floor, her face frowning. Alexis glanced over to her.

"Ria, hello?" Alexis called. "Ria!"

Chandria kept ignoring her as if she didn't hear Alexis call her. Alexis rolled her eyes then walked over to where Chandria was then loudly clapped her hands. Chandria was surprised and she finally looked at Alexis.

"Oh my gosh!" Chandria shouted. "What? Geez, Lex, you startled me!"

"FYI, I've been calling you for a while now but you kept ignoring me," Alexis said. "What's up with you? You do know right, that the concert's about to start and you need to snap out of it and concentrate?"