Chapter Seventy-Seven: Future Plans

In the Ford house that same morning, Mr. and Mrs. Ford were having breakfast with their son. Wolf had just gone down and went straight to the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of water and was about to leave when his father called him.

"Wolf, why don't you join us?" Mr. Paulo said.

"No, thanks," Wolf answered.

"We have something to discuss with you, son," Mr. Paulo said.

Wolf looked at the three of them and hesitated. But he still sat beside John.

There was silence for a while as they ate.

"How's school, Wolf?" Mrs. Devon asked.

"It's fine," Wolf shrugged.

"You have your one-on-one career orientation with your guidance councilor today," Mrs. Devon said. "We would like to talk to you both about where you want to go to college."

"And we both would like for both of you to take up business management," Mr. Paulo said. "We talked about it and we want both of you to handle the family business."

"Both of us?" John repeated.

"Yes, both of you," Mrs. Devon said.

"We're planning to continue with the expansions of the company as was originally planned before," Mr. Paulo said. "It's about time we continue with it. And we want both of you to be able to deal with not only the local market but also the global market as well. It's too big a job for only one person."

"Fine, I was planning on going on a business school anyway," John said. "Harvard, maybe."

Wolf looked at him and said, "Harvard? You're choosing Harvard?"

"Why not? It's one of the leading business schools."

"And the top law school in the US. Shouldn't you be thinking more on going to London Business School. Or Cambridge? Or Oxford?"

"Why would I want to go to the UK?"

"Why would you want to go to Harvard?"

John only shrugged.

"Alexis told you she was applying there, did she?" Wolf asked.

"Maybe she did, maybe she didn't. What does it matter?"

"So you're planning to stick with her until college?" Wolf said in disbelief.

"Hold on, you two," Mr. Paulo finally cut in. "Are you fighting over Alexis?"

"No," Wolf immediately replied. "We're not, are we, John?"

"I'm going to school," John said, standing up.

"Wait," Mrs. Devon said, following her son out.

"I can't believe this," Wolf said.

"You're fighting over one girl?" Mr. Paulo said incredulously. "Whatever happened to your proposal to Alexis?"

"What? How'd you know about that?" Wolf asked, surprised.

Mr. Paulo laughed, "You really think you could keep that a secret when you proposed to her in this house? Someone saw you. So how did your proposal go? I was going to ask about that next but you and John fighting over her is news to me."

"We're not fighting over my girlfriend. He just keeps annoyingly close around her these days."

"Because he's fighting with Chandria? I heard she went here yesterday for him."

"Yeah, they're on this cat and mouse chasing thing again. Only this time Cha's doing the chasing 'cause John's freaking mad at her." Wolf paused, "So you're okay with me proposing to Alexis? You're not going to say we're too young or something."