Chapter Forty: Chase

Chandria was already in hysterics as she paced by the shore. She was intently looking at the water every now and then, waiting. John, on the other hand, dived in the water to look for Alexis just in case. Although John didn't think that something bad might have happened to Alexis because it was pretty crowded and someone would've noticed her, but just to be sure, he swam out. Chandria stayed by the shore and was supposed to keep a lookout for Alexis.

Fifteen more minutes passed and still nothing. Chandria could see John coming back to the shore.

"If Alexis is in there," John said. "Then we're already too late."

"How can you just say that?!" Chandria said, nearly hysterical. "Maybe she isn't in the water anymore. Nobody saw anything! She didn't drown!"

John paused and then said, "We should go tell the others to help us look for her."

"No. Let's just ask someone here, maybe they saw Alexis get out of the water and go somewhere."

"We should go tell Wolf. He'd want to help look."

Chandria was near tears because she felt responsible.

"Hey, it's no one's fault, Chandria" John said, putting an arm around her to comfort her.

"What's going on?" Elizabeth asked from behind them. "Ria? Why are you crying? What's going on?"

"Alexis is missing," John said.

"Huh? No, she's not," Elizabeth said. "Didn't you see Wolf go after her? He saw Alexis swimming too far from us so he went after her."

"Oh God," Chandria said, relieved. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah, Wolf told us where he was going," Elizabeth said. "It's 'cause you two were so into your serious talk that you didn't notice."

"I'm not even mad," Chandria said because she was glad nothing bad happened to Alexis.

"Damn it! Wolf could've at least told us too! He just wanted to monopolize her, did he have to ruin... shit, whatever. Come on, Chandria. We're going diving," John took Chandria's hand and pulled her away. Although he was a little pissed, he was at least glad they could resume their vacation without having anything major happening.

In the meantime, when Alexis resurfaced from her swim, she saw that she was close to a formation of breakwater rocks. And since she felt a little tired, she decided to rest there for a while. She sat on a rock when she noticed someone swimming towards her. Her eyes widened when she realized it was Wolf, and she blushed as she remembered again what happened.

"Hey," Wolf greeted when he resurfaced. "You really shouldn't swim far. With your track record, something might happen to you."

"I'm okay," Alexis looked away. "I was just resting here a bit."

Wolf pulled himself out the water and sat beside her. Alexis couldn't look at him especially so since Wolf wasn't wearing a shirt.

"Are you really gonna start ignoring me, Alexis?" Wolf asked.

"I'm not ignoring you," Alexis said without looking at him, although Wolf was staring at her.

"You're just not looking at me?" Wolf commented.

Alexis answered his question by still not looking at him. The next thing Alexis heard was a splashing sound. When she looked around, Wolf was not beside her anymore and she saw ripple from the water, as if someone just dove in. She was expecting for Wolf to resurface immediately but he didn't.

"Wolf?" Alexis called, getting a bit worried. "Hey, Wolf, this isn't funny. Get out of the water now! Wolf!"

When Wolf didn't resurfaced, Alexis also dove into the water to bring Wolf back. But the moment she did, Wolf resurfaced and cornered her, trapping Alexis between a stone and himself.