Chapter Thirty-Three: Foundation Day

"We hope you enjoy this year's foundation day. Thank you and have a nice day," Alexis said over a microphone, wrapping up her opening speech for Beaufort Academy's Foundation Day.

The audience clapped and as Alexis walked down the stairs of the stage, she saw Wolf and her Papa waiting for her.

"Good job, Alexis," Mr. Christopher said, handing her flowers. "I'm proud of you."

"Thank you, Papa!" Alexis said, taking the flowers and briefly hugging him. "Thanks for keeping Papa company, Wolf."

"It was my pleasure," Wolf said. "And congratulations, Alexis."

"Thanks!" Alexis said. "Pa, if you like, I can tour you around the school?"

But as if on cue, Mr. Christopher's phone rang. He glanced at it and then had an apologetic expression on his face as he looked at his daughter.

"I'm sorry, Alexis," Mr. Christopher said. "I have an urgent meeting with one of my clients. I promise I'll come back as soon as it's finished."

Alexis smiled, "Okay Pa, I understand. Be safe."

"Thank you, Alexis," Mr. Christopher said, kissing Alexis on the forehead. "And congratulations again. Wolf, I'm leaving her in your care in the meantime."

"Yes, Sir," Wolf said. "I'll take care of her."

"Bye, Pa!" Alexis waved goodbye to her father.

"So are you free now or do you have things to do first?" Wolf asked.

"Uhm, I'm actually free this morning. But I have to be in the gym after lunch because we have last minute practice and preparations for the concert."

"So do you still want to go around with me?"

"Sure."

They went to the field and were walking around, trying out some of the booths and rides when a student walked up to them.

"Hi, Alexis," the student called. "And Wolf. You're now part of our engagement booth game!"

The student proceeded putting on tracking bracelets on each of their wrists.

"What??" Alexis asked. "But we didn't register for that. I haven't even seen your booth."

"Yeah, somebody registered you guys," the student answered.

Alexis pointedly looked at Wolf.

"I didn't!" Wolf denied. "I was with you the whole time after all."

"Then who did?" Alexis asked.

"It was John, I think," the student answered again. "Anyway, he already paid the registration fee. If you want out, then you have to pay us the cancellation fee."

"Fine," Alexis said. She pulled out her credit card from her purse and handed it to them.

"I'm sorry, Alexis," the student said. "The ATM machines are malfunctioning so cash only please."

"Are you serious? I have to tell the council members about this. Besides, I don't carry cash with me," Alexis said. "Do you, Wolf?"

"I don't," Wolf said. "What's this thing for?"

"I'm sorry," the student said. "You have to go through it then. Those are tracking bracelets, it'll tell us where you are and it's proof you're partners and part of the game. Plus you can't remove them unless you pay the cancellation fee or complete the challenge."

"Then let's try it, Alexis. It might be fun, anyway," Wolf said.

"Okay, okay," Alexis said. "I don't really have much choice. I'm gonna get John back for this."