Chapter Forty-Five: Childhood Sweethearts (AlBee)

It was a little over midnight when they got back to their villa because Elizabeth didn't want to go back yet and, in fact, she only agreed when Alexis was nodding off as they hung out the beach. The reason was that she was still avoiding Alvin – who was very confused at this point because he didn't know what he did that Elizabeth was suddenly avoiding him.

When they got back to the villa, Elizabeth went straight to the bathroom in their room and showered, then changed into her pajamas to sleep. Elizabeth only talked to Alvin to tell him that it was his turn to use the bathroom.

He had just gotten out of their shared bathroom for that night, wearing sweatpants and sando, while Elizabeth was in bed lying down, her eyes close and it looked like she had already fallen asleep.

Alvin sighed. He had wanted to talk to her and ask her what the problem was. He sat down beside her, on her side of the bed and looked at her.

"Bee?" Alvin called. "Are you asleep?"

Elizabeth didn't stir so Alvin assumed that she had fallen asleep. It was late after all and they had an early flight in the morning. Alvin took her hand to his.

"Even before, I've had trouble understanding you," Alvin whispered. " But do you want to hear a secret, Bee?"

Alvin had a newfound bravery just because Elizabeth was asleep.

"The reason I became such a... ladies' man, as our friends put it, was because of you. Aside from the fact that I got so tongue-tied when it came to talking to you about... about what I felt... you really confuse me. Most of the time, I don't get what you're thinking. I thought that after being with other girls, I'll be able to understand you better, be the man that you deserve... who'll understand everything about you. But I was wrong. I was stupid and wrong to think that it'll help because there's nobody else like you," Alvin said. "It took me long enough to realize that. And even if I'm having a hard time understanding you up until now, I know now that it's part of the process and from now on I want to be there and know firsthand the reasons behind your actions."

Alvin, while sighing to himself, bowed down his head because he kind of felt stupid telling these things to Elizabeth while she was asleep. But he thought it was all right, and considered it as practice for the time that he'll actually tell those things to her face, when she was wide awake. However, he was surprised to actually feel her hand squeeze his hand.

When he looked up, he was shocked to see that Elizabeth's eyes were open and were looking back at him.

"Bee!" Alvin stammered. "Were you... did-did you hear... were you listening to what I was saying?"

Elizabeth sat up but still held his slightly clammy hand.

"Yes," Elizabeth said with a small smile on her lips. "I'm... I'm sorry, I was only pretending to be asleep."

Elizabeth was pretending to be asleep because she thought it was the best excuse she had to avoid talking to Alvin and for both of them to just sleep that night. However, she was moved with what she just heard so she opened her eyes.

"You heard... you heard that?" Alvin said, his chinito eyes opening as wide as they could in shock and embarrassment.

"Uhm, I did," Elizabeth nodded. "I heard every word, actually."

Alvin's face turned pale and he didn't know what to say. He didn't imagine that he would actually tell her in this circumstance but he tried to take it in stride and tried his best to sound confident instead, "Bee, I'm sorry if I said or did anything that offended you. I might have let my guard down a bit because I was so happy to be with you now here. I promise I'll do better."