Chapter Forty-Seven: Lunch Time Madness

"Hope Torres? Torres? From the nouveau riche family?" Elizabeth heard Mia half-whispering to the other members of Beaufort pep squad who were seated near her.

"Since when did Beaufort accept people from second class families?" Paige, another member of the pep squad and Mia's bestfriend, said.

And although they were whispering amongst each other, everyone near them could hear what they were saying and some were laughing as they looked at Hope. It was because in their school, those who belong to nouveau riche families are looked down upon because they think that the nouveau riche could never uphold the status and class of the real elites.

Hope's smile faltered and she started to look uncomfortable as she saw the looks and laughs her classmates were giving her. Miss Pamela was a little busy because there was no vacant seat available as the faculty and staff thought that Hope was going to school tomorrow.

"Oh you can sit on Miss Santos' chair in the mean time," Miss Pamela said.

"But Ma'am, Ria is here!" Mia immediately protested as Chandria was seated behind her and that meant Hope would be sitting there.

"She is? But I have a note here that excuses her for class today," Miss Pamela said. "So Miss Torres, go on and sit there in the meantime. We'll have a table ready for you tomorrow."

Hope slowly nodded but remained standing in front of the class.

"In the meantime, class, open your email and read the article I just sent you and we'll discuss that after I get back," Miss Pamela instructed before leaving.

A few of the students did as Miss Pamela instructed. However, most ignored it and did their own things, like some of the pep squad girls  who went over Mia's table to comfort her. They started laughing and insulting Hope who had remained standing in front of the classroom.

Hope gulped but thought that she needed to go sit down before Miss Pamela returned so she finally started walking towards the empty seat. But before she could, Paige intentionally tripped Hope, sending her falling face first on the floor.

They burst out laughing while Hope did everything she could to stop herself from crying.

"Are you alright?" Elizabeth asked, extending her hand to help her stand up.

Hope looked up and saw Elizabeth smiling in sympathy for her. Hope blinked, surprised that someone was being so kind to her when she was just thinking that everyone in the place were mean people.

She took Elizabeth's hand, and Elizabeth helped her stand up. Hope mumbled, "I'm fine."

"Good," Elizabeth smiled again then turned towards Mia and the other girls. "Where are your manners, girls? My pep squad is not a group of girls who pulls cheap stunts like this."

Mia, Paige and the rest of the girls stopped giggling.

"We were just joking, Liz. Come on," Mia defended herself.

"I'm not," Elizabeth sternly said. "And as punishment, you girls are doing 30 suicide drills later at practice."

"What?" the girls protested together. "But Liz –"

"No buts," Elizabeth cut in. "I don't want this to happen again. See you at practice."

Alexis walked to them too and said, "Great job, Liz."

Alexis smiled at her bestfriend because she was proud her friend was against bullying the new student. Alexis picked up Hope's bag and handed it to her.

"Thank you," Hope said.

Elizabeth and Alexis were about to walk back to their seats but Hope stopped them.