Chapter Eighteen: Scared

"Wait, wait," Chandria said. "Can we sit down a bit and take a short break?"

It was the next day and the Arts Guild and the kids were in an amusement park. They had the whole amusement park reserved for them that day at the kids were really taking advantage in enjoying the rides.

"You're tired?" John asked.

"Yes, we've been walking all morning," Chandria answered.

"There's still so many rides we haven't tried, you know!"

It seemed as if John was more excited than the kids when they arrived in the amusement park.

"Please, just five minutes," Chandria pleaded.

"Kuya! Let's ride there!" Ruel pointed towards one ride.

"Sure, Ruel. Chandria, sit over here first and I'll go with the kids," John said. "Stay here, okay?"

Chandria smiled and nodded. John, Ruel and Dindy went to the ride quickly as Chandria happily watched them. She felt very proud that, so far, her charity project had been a success.

After a while, John returned with drinks for him and Chandria.

"Oh, where's Ruel and Dindy?" Chandria asked.

"They rode the ride again," John answered.

"Why didn't you join them again then?"

"I wanted to check on you. Are you feeling better?"

"Yeah, my feet's just a little tired from all the walking," Chandria said.

"You tire easily. You should join me on my morning jogging sessions to build up your stamina."

Chandria chuckled, "Excuse me, I exercise! You're just too excited. In fact, I think you're more excited than the kids! It's as if it's your first time in an amusement park."

"Actually, it is my first time."

"What? Come on, as if I'll believe that."

"It's true! It's just... my parents fought too much when I was a kid and Mom became depressed and all that. There wasn't time to go to amusement parks."

"But... your Mom's doing okay now, right?"

"Yeah. After all those years of fighting, I woke up one day and they finally stopped. I don't know why and how though. But I couldn't just forget all those years of waking up to them shouting and Mom drinking herself to sleep."

"Is that why you keep on fighting with Wolf?"

"Can we not talk about him?"

"Then why are you telling me this, John? You know Wolf's my bestfriend."

"I don't know. Maybe I want you to understand me too."

They both got quiet as they both thought about what each other just said. When the two kids returned, they resumed going around the amusement park.

"Ate, let's go there!" Ruel said, pulling Chandria towards a haunted house.

"No! Monsters!" Dindy protested.

"Ruel, your sister doesn't want to. Let's ride something else," Chandria said.

"Aw, you just don't want to ride it too," John said. "You're scared, aren't you, Chandria?"

"No!" Chandria said. "It's Dindy who doesn't want to ride, you know! Besides, aren't you the one afraid of ghosts?"

"I am not scared! Who told you that?" John said. "They're all fake stuff anyway, come on, let's go in!"