Chapter Nineteen: Apologies

"Chandria," John called.

Chandria was alone with the kids and they were seated on the bench. Chandria was wiping Dindy's face which was covered in chocolate ice cream. When Chandria turned around to look, it wasn't John who she saw but a small, fat stuffed penguin.

"Huh?" Chandria said, surprised.

John put down the stuffed toy and returned it inside the paper bag he was carrying and took out a different one, "Don't you like penguins? Here's a monkey one. Looks cuter, right?"

"What for?" Chandria said. "And where'd you get those? Why are there so many?"

"In a basketball shooting game over there. I didn't know which one you'd like so I played until I got them all."

"What for?" Chandria asked again.

There was awkward silence from John.  It looked as if he was having a hard time telling her why.

"Because... so... sor... sorry if I made you go with me inside haunted house. I didn't know you'd get scared that much," John explained.

Chandria's jaw dropped in shock. She wasn't expecting an apology much more an apology that came with a gift. Besides, John sounded so sincere, very different from when she first heard him apologize to her.

"Kuya, I want this one," Dindy said. She came near John, who had placed the paper bag on the floor, and rummaged inside the paper bag.

"Uhhh," John said, hesitating to give it away.

"It's okay, I'll take the monkey one," Chandria said while giggling. "Look, you're both even wearing red. At least, I'll really remember you when I see this. Thank you. Oh, Dindy, what do you say to Kuya John?"

"Thank you!" Dindy said while hugging the penguin stuffed toy.

"We can give those other stuffed toys to the other girls later," Chandria said. "So, do you still want to go and get into the rides?"

"Only those you also want to ride in," John said, smiling. Apologizing wasn't as bad as he thought. He suddenly wondered why his Dad always said before that it was one of the hardest things to do. But John didn't mind it anymore at the moment and continued on the day with Chandria and the kids until it was time to go.

They were going to take the kids back to the orphanage, where dinner was prepared for them along with some gifts and a donation to be made in behalf of the Arts Guild.

Dindy was clutching on John, as if she could tell that they were about to part ways. Even while they were eating he was clutching John that Chandria had to feed her. Ruel, on the other hand, was playing with his friends.

"Dindy, come on and eat," Chandria insisted. "Kuya John and I aren't leaving yet, so come and eat please?"

Dindy shook her head.

"I don't mind," John said. "You eat, I'll feed her."

"Smile!" someone suddenly said and when the three of them looked, a camera flashed at them.

"Cool, you guys look like a happy family," the photographer said.

"Uh, no–" Chandria started to protest but the photographer had already left. John just laughed.

They finished eating dinner and when the small small program finished, it was time for the members of the Arts Guild to go home. However, they had a hard time saying good bye to Dindy because she didn't want them to leave.

"I promise we'll come over again and play," John said. "So be a good girl, okay?"

Dindy nodded but she was still crying a bit.