Chapter Thirty-Two: Families

Alvin was scanning through the papers hurriedly. Then he stopped when he reached a page that read "PETITION FOR ADOPTION". He glanced over his shoulder when he heard someone walking towards the kitchen. Before he placed the folder back on the table, he scanned it quickly and read "This is a petition for review on certiorari filed by Maxine P. Lopez (petitioner)...". But before he could read any further, he heard the door open so he subtly returned the folder on the table and turned around.

"Sir?" the maid called. "Your bag."

Alvin's heartbeat was beating hard against his chest. He almost got caught and the rush from that made him slow to register everything else. He grabbed his bag with a quick thanks and hurriedly went outside. He leaned on the wall beside the door after he had closed it and breathed deeply in relief. When he calmed down, he started walking towards the garden and it was then that he remembered what he saw. There were some bank records and a petition for adoption. Alvin paused and frowned, remembering what he read.

"This is a petition for review on certiorari filed by Maxine P. Lopez (petitioner)..."

His heart beat fast again. Maxine P. Lopez was his mother's name!

"Alvin?" Elizabeth called. Alvin had been gone for too long so Elizabeth began to worry so she returned inside to look for him. "Are you alright?"

Alvin looked pale. A million things were running on his mind that moment. It was a petition of adoption made by his Mom but his Mom hadn't mention anything about anything about adopting anyone to him, granted he really didn't see his parents frequently. Why would his parents have that? Besides, Alvin was an only child. His eyes grew rounder in surprise, realizing what it might mean.

"Maybe I'm adopted and it was a copy of my petition for adoption?" Alvin thought.

"Alvin?" Elizabeth called again. This time, Elizabeth walked closer to him and touched his arm to better get his attention because she noticed that it was as if Alvin didn't hear her because he was too deep in thought.

Alvin looked at Elizabeth when Elizabeth touched his arm to get his attention.

"Was that why Elizabeth suddenly left me for Marco? Because I'm an adopted child?" Alvin thought when he looked at her. He stepped back, making Elizabeth release his arm. He suddenly felt uncomfortable.

"I – yeah, I'm okay," Alvin said. But he really wasn't because a thousand different things were running through his mind right then.

"Maybe she thought I didn't deserve her because I was adopted?" Alvin thought to himself. "Why the hell does she even have these records of my family??"

Elizabeth noticed the change in Alvin's attitude because he was acting differently from when he first arrived.

"I thought something happened to you," Elizabeth teased him, trying to make Alvin feel comfortable again. "'Cause you were taking too long inside the bathroom!"

"I have to go," Alvin said, ignoring what Elizabeth just said.

"Huh? I thought we're hanging out the garden?" Elizabeth asked.

"I– I don't feel well," Alvin excused.

"Okay... sure. Let me escort you out."

"'No. I know the way out. I'm going, okay?"

Alvin left in a hurry without even giving Elizabeth the chance to say goodbye. Elizabeth was confused over Alvin's sudden change of attitude but she didn't think something was really wrong and believed that maybe Alvin really felt sick.

Alvin, on the other hand, drove off quickly. He wanted to ask his parents about it but they were out of the country and wouldn't be back for another week.