Chapter Eighty-One: Coming Home

Five days had passed since Alexis was attacked and stabbed. She was out of the ICU and was transferred in a regular room. Bodyguards were still stationed outside her room, and everyday, Wolf would visit and stay with her.

The police was visiting her to ask her, although difficult, to tell them what happened in the cemetery.

Alexis said she was going to visit her Papa that day. She had just entered their family's mausoleum after spending a few minutes outside. She told them she wasn't paying attention to her surroundings then because she only kept her eyes at the tombs of her parents. She knew her bodyguard was probably somewhere close but her bodyguard was efficient and good at being invisible.

Just as she was about to finally entered, someone grabbed her from behind, a hand immediately covered her mouth to keep her from screaming or else. Her attacker held the bloody knife against her and pushed her inside. She tried to fight but her attacked pushed her down, and pinned her on the floor.

She said her attacker had looked at her with a menacing glare and told her one thing, "I have a message from X: if I can't have you, no one can."

And that was when she felt the knife go through her chest. Then she heard Wolf's voice calling her.

The police had informed her then that her bodyguard was probably caught by surprise and died protecting her based on the amount of wounds her bodyguard and her attacker had. It was how they were actually able to catch him quickly because he wasn't able to get far away as he was also wounded. It was probably why he also ran when he heard someone was coming.

The police said that her attacker had confessed the truth and had told them that it was his cousin that referred him to this job and that the mastermind was Paul Torres. The police also warned Alexis and had offered police assistance in guarding her as, when they interrogated Paul, he told him that he will not stop.

Wolf declined the police guards and instead had his own family bodyguards guard over Alexis 24/7. The police bid their good bye after that, telling them they would come back again. Wolf went out to them, telling Alexis he'd be back

Alexis was staring at her hands, she still couldn't believe she had almost died. There was a knock on the door and when it opened, John entered the room. Alexis smiled. John, like Wolf, visited Alexis everyday, although he didn't stay as long as Wolf because Wolf would always step out whenever John arrived. Not that they were awkward or Alexis asked him too, it was just because Wolf didn't want to stress Alexis too much while she was recovering.

Besides, Alexis mostly slept and rested these past few days and was actually only well enough to talk to the police that day.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" John asked. He had brought her some flowers.

"Getting better," Alexis said, a small smile on her lips.

"Where's Wolf?"

"He just stepped out with the police for a bit. How are you?"

"I'm fine. So what did the police wanted?"

"Just... they just asked me what happened." She didn't want to talk about it again so she changed the subject, "You look different."

"Different? How?" John said, sitting on the chair beside her bed.

Alexis shrugged, "I don't know. Like happier? You have this vibrant aura around you. Did something happen while I was unconscious?"

"Can't I just be happy you're fine? Besides, we're talking about you here. You and Wolf are okay now?"

"Yeah, I guess so. But we haven't really talked about anything yet, though. 'Cause Wolf's... I think he's avoiding talking about it 'cause he doesn't want to stress me."