Chapter Seventy-Eight: Reminders

"What's that?" Alexis asked. She was on the passenger's seat of John's car. Every now and then, she could see John look at his palm.

"Nothing," John said.

But Alexis didn't believe him so when they stopped on the next red light, she grabbed his arm and looked. John immediately pulled his arm back but Alexis already saw it.

"CS? Oh, oh! Ria's initials! So that's why you were held up a while ago," Alexis was smiling, obviously teasing John.

"So what?" John said, a bit irritated.

"Nothing. It's just cute, the way you're hiding your obvious feelings for her."

"What obvious feelings?"

"Do I have to spell it out? I meant you still obviously love Ria. You try hiding it but more and more of your feelings are slipping through the cracks. Especially today."

"Yeah, right," John scoffed. "Can we stop talking about this?"

"Oh come on, John. We should. It's about time we did. We've both been avoiding this long enough."

"We're not."

Alexis laughed and said, "Isn't the whole point of this friendship that though? To escape?"

"Ouch, that hurts me. I seriously want to be friends with you despite our situations, you know."

"So do I. But don't forget I was the first ever supporter of your, uhm, pairing. Remember the time I helped you apologize to her?"

John didn't reply and looked straight ahead on the road.

"John... I want to be a good friend," Alexis said.

"You already are," John said.

"To both you and Ria. I don't want to choose between you two. Look, I know this whole escape thing was my idea in the first place. That's why I'm the one telling you this now. We have to face our problems at one point."

"And now is not yet that time," John stubbornly said. "I'll do that the day I think you really mean what you say."

"I do mean it."

"Then why are you still with me now and not with Wolf?"

Alexis paused and thought that John had a point there, "Because our circumstances are different. I... I'm not denying my feelings for Wolf. I know... we both know we love each other. So much that being apart hurts."

"Then why?"

"Because seeing him hurts more for me," Alexis whispered. "I don't want to drag you down with me anymore."

"You're not. I am voluntarily accompanying you."

"Just please, at least, be more civil to Ria and stop avoiding her," Alexis pleaded.

"Fine, I'll try," John finally said. They arrived at their destination -  a shopping mall where they could buy clothes and change out of their uniforms plus kill some time before they have dinner and go to some club after.

Meanwhile, Wolf had also left school and had just arrived inside his father's office. He was seated in a plush velvet chair waiting for his father to finish his meeting. A secretary came in and placed a cup of coffee in the table in front of Wolf.

After a few more minutes, his Dad finally arrived, finishing a call as he entered.

"Ah, Wolf, you're early," Mr. Paulo said as he hung up the call. He went to his table and sat down.

"Yeah, figured I should just go here since I had free time," Wolf said. "I could go if you're busy."

"No, no. That was the last of my meeting, you came just in time. Good thing you're early too, we can avoid the rush hour. Hold on one moment," Mr. Paulo picked up the telephone on his table. "I'll be leaving. Forward any of your concerns to Blake."