Chapter Twenty-Four: More than Words

"Who died?"

"Why is it so gloomy in here?"

"What's up with the Power A.C.E.? Why are they so sad?"

It was the next day and the students of Beaufort Academy were going inside their respective classrooms. Alexis, Chandria and Elizabeth were already in theirs. They were seated next to each other and their chins resting gloomily on their right hands. Every person going inside the classroom would immediately notice the gloom enveloping the three of them.

Although they didn't call themselves anything but just best friends, the student community dubbed the three of them as the Power A.C.E. because they were the three most beautiful and popular girls in the school. Of course, ACE stood for the their initials.

John and Alvin went inside the classroom at the same time and they immediately noticed the gloomy atmosphere in the room. They both glanced at the three girls but when Elizabeth saw them, she turned to Chandria.

"Ria," Elizabeth called, forcing out a smile. "Smile! Don't give John the benefit of thinking you're sad over what happened. He doesn't deserve it."

Chandria looked at her and forced out a smile. Elizabeth giggled for real.

"Can you smile more realistically?" Elizabeth said. "It's too forced."

"I know," Alexis said then she tickled Chandria's ear. Chandria automatically laughed making the three of them laugh together.

"John," Alvin called. "Did something happen? Why do I feel like something's wrong with those three?"

"Long story, Bro," John answered as they walked towards their chairs. "Tell you later. But first help me out with Wolf. I need a referee 'cause I need to tell him what happened."

"Wolf?" Alvin said, frowning. "Sure."

When the two of them sat down, Wolf entered the room. Alexis stopped laughing and Chandria noticed it.

"Lex, you want me to talk to him?" Chandria said.

Alexis shook her head, "No, I'll handle it. You have enough problems already anyway."

Chandria smiled, "You really like Wolf, don't you?"

"I... I don't know," Alexis said. "Everything happened too fast. I mean, we just met a month ago then he became my boyfriend after two weeks! It wasn't the start of relationship I had in mind."

"You're so old school when it comes to relationships. Not that it's bad," Elizabeth glanced over at Alvin, "Old school is actually nice."

They placed their gloomy chins on their right hands again then they all sighed in sadness.

"This sucks," Chandria said. "Our senior year just started and we're all so miserable."

"It just got suckier," Elizabeth said when she saw Marco arrive. It was a good thing Melissa was with him and it was why he hardly took notice of Elizabeth. Marco looked pretty pleased with himself, probably because there was a girl who actually liked him and didn't resent him like the three of them did.

Their teacher arrived and started their class. It was a World Literature subject and their teacher, Miss Amanda, was discussing poems to them.

"Okay class, does anybody want to share their favorite poem?" Miss Amanda said. "Anyone?"

Alexis raised her hand and volunteered.

"Okay, Miss Sandoval," Miss Amanda said. "Go ahead."

Alexis stood up, "This poem's title is Wilderness by Lorine Niedecker."