Dancing

I was extremely uncomfortable. The button up shirt I sported was damp from sweat. My hair wasn't combed, and I felt like dying. 

"Why do we have to go to the dance again mom?" I ask, staring out the passenger window.

"Well Percy, one, you asked Annabeth to go, and two it's a good way to get some exercise." My mom responds.

"I regret asking her now. I had no idea it was mandatory to dress up! And I don't know how to dance!" I argue back.

"What do you think you were going to do at senior prom? Sit at the back corner while Annabeth stands alone?" My mom questions.

"I thought she was going to talk in the corner with me." I mumble. 

"Seriously Percy, this is not freshman prom. You have a girlfriend. Dance with her. Why did you ask her anyway if you didn't want to dance?" My mom scolds. 

That caught me off guard. Why did I ask her again? Probably because she going to kill me if I didn't. Yeah, that's why. We arrive shortly at the school, and I cringe at the sight of everybody there. Yeah, this wasn't going to go well.

I walk into the gymnasium, stumbling over air. My palms are sweaty as I look for Annabeth. I knew she helped a bit with the decorations of the place so she was supposed to be there. I say hi to one of my mortal friends as he passes by, but it sounds more like "Heiiiii" than "Hi." Why was I so nervous again? Right I was going to be embarrassed with my horrible dancing. It happened when I was 14, it's going to happen when I'm 17. 

I spot Annabeth at the back of the gym talking to the person who runs the dance. I jog over to her trying not to trip over anybody.

"Hi Annabeth."  I say quietly, standing awkwardly beside her as her and the teacher talk about what should the last song to play be. 

Annabeth turns to me, and her face instantly lights up. She's throws her arms around me and whispers in my ear, "You look good."

I whisper back, "You look better." It was true if you looked at it in terms of sweat and what you wore. She was wearing an elegant dress while I wore a simple white button up shirt and black pants. Not to mention she wasn't at all sweating  bullets contrary to me. 

Only 30 seconds later, the two decide on some slow song as the last one to play that I instantly forgot the name of. Annabeth smiles at me, and grabs my hand.

"Ready to get embarrassed in front of the whole entire school?" She asks, obviously suppressing a smile.

"No." I say simply as we step onto the dance floor. The first song that plays is some Maroon 5 song that I've heard over the radio a few times. Apparently, it doesn't have any specific dance to it so Annabeth and I just try to make strange dance moves or follow what other people are doing. I think I step on her foot a few times like I did when I was 14.

"You still haven't fixed your foot stepping problem seaweed brain?" She asks me, groaning as I do it  again.

"Can you teach me how to not step on your foot?" I say as I give her my baby seal face. She rolls her eyes,  and attempts  to teach me a dance move that was popular in like the 1920s. When I fail miserably at it, she tries another dance. Then another one. Before I know it, the prom is about to end, and I still the same amount of dances I knew when I walked into the gymnasium. None. 

Annabeth kisses me once as I'm about to leave. 

"Gods, I just wish your dancing skills were as good as you look tonight." Annabeth sighs.

"Annabeth complimenting my looks 2 times in a day? This is monumental! Are you feeling alright?" I exclaim.

Annabeth laughs. "Don't get too cocky." 

"I'll try not too." I say, and wave to her as my mom picks me up. 

Annabeth was truly amazing. 

Turtles are fun. 

Hope you enjoyed-

PandaDude