Finn Whitlock

I don't know crap about surfing so pwease don't get mad if I'm terribly wrong about certain things in this chapter 

     I catch another wave, and let the wind fly by me. It felt good to be back on the ocean. The place where I can forget my problems.

I swerve my surfboard, trying not to hit the white water. I  squat and lower my hand into the water, feeling the coolness of it. The salty air calms me. New York isn't the best place to surf, but in the summer the waves were manageable and the water isn't totally freezing. 

I almost lose my balance as a bigger wave hits me. I manage to stay on top of my board, but I know it will be the last wave in a minute or so. I lay on my board, and start paddling towards the incoming wave a few hundred yards away. 

I get up right as the wave starts to barrel towards me.  I get up, and start riding it. It's larger than I expect though so I quickly near the beach. 

"Damn it." I say to myself silently. Shallower waters were much harder to surf on as the tide is lower. And the wave doesn't seem getting any slower. I'm only 50 feet away from the sand when the wave begins to diminish and retreat. I think I'm ready to paddle back when the surfboard tips to the right a bit and I fall into the water.

My body hits the water,  and I thrash around, looking for my surfboard. I see the tide coming towards me again in my peripheral vision, and I quicken my pace. I have just got back on my board when the wave hits me, and I hold onto it for dear life as I approach the beach. The ocean is ruthless.

I crawl onto the sand, breathing heavily. I lay on my back, and put the surfboard to my right. What a fun way to start the morning. In my cheap wetsuit, laying on the rocky beach, drenched in salt water.

I stay there for at least 5 minutes before sitting back up again. Just contemplating my life. When I do finally rise, I see two more people walking onto the beach with surfboards around 40 feet away. A man and a woman probably in their early to mid 20s, around my age. That is interesting. Usually the normal beach comers don't arrive until around 8:00AM. It was still 6:45 right now. Especially since I am surfing on Long Island Sound, there usually wasn't a lot of people in the early morning.

They seemed to be relatively new to surfing as I could see price tags still on the boards. Must have got it from the surfboard shop a 1/2 mile down the road. They also seem to be daring each other to see who can go first. I realized they were probably  a couple by their closeness. 

The corner of my lip tugs upward as I watch them. I am not going to judge them or anything, but it's always interesting to see how newcomers perceive the sport. They didn't seem to have any trainer around so maybe they weren't totally horrible. I didn't surf alone until I had 1 year of training. (So in the "vacation" chapter, I state that Percy would probably know how to surf and Annabeth wouldn't because he was a son of Poseidon and what not. Well in the pandaverse, this chapter takes place 4 years after that one. So I'm saying Poseidon eventually let it go, and now Annabeth can surf)

I watch as they paddle out on their boards to the waves, deciding that they will go together. When the first one starts coming at them, they both stand up in preparation. Ah, so they were not beginners. No beginner knows that exact right moment to stand up to catch the best wave. 

I immediately revoke the idea the thought of them being anywhere near beginners the first second they actually surf. The form, the way they turned, everything. They were even better than me, and I had been surfing since I was 17. They were near perfect!

I sit in awe as they surf for at least another 15 minutes before coming back to the shore to probably get a drink of water. It has been a while since I have had a surf instructor, and I know I am getting a little rusty. I decide to ask for their help. They seemed friendly enough. Their wetsuits were also really sick, and I want to know where they got them.

"Hey there! Can you help me surf? I saw how you 2 did it, and I couldn't help but look in awe. They're insane!" I ask, holding up my surfboard.

The guy looks up, and answers. "Yeah, sure, we can help. I saw you sitting there. You looked mystified." 
I blush slightly. "Thank you! I haven't been practicing enough, and I think I have lost my touch."

"So you're not a beginner?" The girl says, and I nod.

"I've been surfing for 6 years now. This is my first time surfing in 8 months though."

"Oh. Well we'll be happy to help.  I'm Percy, and this is my wife Annabeth." He says, gesturing to the woman. (first chapter where Percabeth is married)

So they were in a relationship. They seem relatively young to be married, but I am not going to judge.

The 3 of us swim to the waves, and my first surfing lesson in 6 years begins. They are easily better than me, but I get some of that sensation back when I was 19 at the end, and I almost keep up with them.  Sometimes Annabeth shows me a new thing while other times it's Percy.

"Remember to keep your knees bent!" Percy shouts to me as we glide through another surge of water. I give him a thumbs up as the ocean almost engulfs me again. 

I only fall around 3 times which is better than I did a hour ago. Percy and Annabeth have to leave at around 7:50, but I stay on the water a bit longer to get better at some things. I wave  to the couple goodbye as they part, and thank them for helping me. 

I never got the place where they bought their wetsuits though. 

I never described Finn, but he's basically the most stereotypical surfer dude you can think of

Hope you enjoyed-

PandaDude