Royce Sampson

Up above is pain. Also, this chapter starts out sad, but I swear it gets better

    I run. I run harder than I had ever had.  I couldn't stand being around them anymore. I needed to get out.  No, no it hurt too much. Their words and actions still swirling around in my head.

"You're worthless. No wonder  you have no friends."

"You're delusional! Greek monsters are not real! Stop believing in them." 

"SWIRLIE,SWIRLIE,SWIRLIE!"

"Aww,did mommy's little sweetheart get a bloody nose. No? Ok ,I'll give you one anyways."

"Royce what are you doing?" Mr.Clowney shouts out after me. "I'm calling your parents about this!" 

What was I doing? Maybe Mr.Clowney would know if he actually paid attention. My parents don't care about me. They'll probably be happy. I keep on running. Just keep on running. Running harder than I ever had in my 16 years.  I run past the high school crowd laughing at me through the cafeteria windows. Each of them trying to peek outside to see the outcast,loser, and delusional Royce Sampson run away from school. I run past Ms.Armstrong, the the principal, telling me to stop. I didn't. She didn't care about me. No one did.

I lose track of time. I run in no specific direction, but I know where I'm going. The woods. The woods where I could be alone. Not being harassed by people at school, not being verbally and physically  abused by my father and mother  at home, just alone. The woods where I could break down. 

I enter the pines, and find my favorite rock. No one could find me here. I cry. The woods around me are quiet. Full of life, but so quiet. It was nice. Then, I hear them.

Voices. No no no, this couldn't be happening. Did Victor follow me just to give me a  beating? Did Amanda and her brain friends put some tracker on my ankle so they could track me and ridicule me for being so stupid?  No, that's ridiculous. These voices were older than 16 year olds. 

My heart skips a beat as the voices near. My breathing starts to get more rapid when I hear the voices suddenly stop and a scream. I gasp, and my hand flies over my mouth. Who the hell were these people?

A boy and a girl, ages probably a year or 2 older than me, stood 30 feet away, stopping as they saw me. They would look pretty normal if they didn't boast lethal weapons.

The boy had a long sword while the girl held a crooked knife. They whisper to each other as I crab walk backwards, forgetting that the rock was not infinite. 

I fall, back first into the hard ground, thankfully covering my head with my hands. I groan in pain though as my back took a hard fall. I try to run from  the people, but they already has grasped me. There was where I was going to die, wasn't it? Being stupid enough to crab walk backwards on a 2 foot rock while killers watched. I wait for the strike of metal piercing my skin, but instead, they start asking questions. 

"Do you by any means, see some weird creatures that mysteriously look like Greek monsters?The blonde girl says, her sharp grey eyes boring into mine.

How did they know that?

"Why don't you just kill me already?" I ask, realizing that the boy's arm had let go of me and I was free to run. 

 "We're not going to kill you." The boy  said, and touched the edge of his sword. I thought my eyes had tricked me. The sword was now a pen? What the hell.

My breath is now short quick breaths,  and my brain commands me to run, but I don't. 

"How...how did you do...that?" I question, my eyes wide.

"You saw it, didn't you?" The girl says.

"Yeah I saw it! You literally just turned a sword into a pen!" I say, annoyed that they thought I couldn't see it. Did they think I was visually impaired?

"Ok, I'll explain all of this. Just please, answer own question. Do you know  both your biological parents?" The girl asks. 

"Yeah." I say, trying to sound confident with my answer.

"Are you certain?"

"Yes." I say more sternly. 

"Ok, so you want to talk about this over some pizza,not in the middle of the woods?" The boy offers, fiddling with his pen. 

"Sure."

                                                            ***

I don't know why I trusted them. Maybe it was because they were some of the only people that were genuinely nice to me. Or that they had answers to the strange creatures that would always pass by me. Or possibly because they paid for the pizza.

"So what you're telling me is that weird Greek people live in the sky, and I'm not one of their offspring, but I can see the monsters that hunt down their offspring?"

"Yes. You could also see the weapons we had, and how it could turn into a pen. Most people would've saw the sword as a bat or something." The girl,Annabeth,explains taking another sip of her water. The two sit next to each other while I sit across from them. 

"Most? So there's more people who are like me?" I ask, never considering that possibility. My mind was too stuck in the "Chosen One" complex in books. (I had to put it there lol. One of my only complaints about PJO. STOP WITH THE CHOSEN ONE COMPLEX)

"Yeah of course. You are what is called a mortal who could see through the mist. You are like a normal human, but you can see through the barrier that prevents normal people from seeing monsters, and magic souvenirs." The boy,Percy, rambles on a bit.

"Uhhh, is there anything to prove this more? I'm still kinda weary about all this." I say, my brain still processing the what the hell was going on.

"Actually, we can. If you're up for a bit of a drive, there's a place where the gods offspring,demigods, can be safe." Annabeth, smiling as she grips Percy's  hand beneath the table. Ah, so they were a couple.

I agree wearily, and we finish up before heading out. Just as the door opens, I spot him.  Noticeable muscles, a mean face, and a look that said, "I have a huge ego." Victor Prince. 

Of course, he spots me and jogs over.

"Ooohh did Royce finally find some friends? I don't think he has had one for what,16 years?" Victor taunts.

"Shut up." Annabeth says. "I bet he's going to have a better life than you."

My eyes widen once again. It probably had been 16 years since someone had stood up for me. 

"Oh what are you going to do about it? Kill me with makeup?" Victor says, and laughs at his own "joke." 

"If you're going to be sexist, at least do it with your guy friends. Being sexist in front of me will just cause more problems." Annabeth challenges. 

Victor laughs once again and kicks her. "You're weak!" 

Next thing I know Victor is in the ground, cursing in pain. Annabeth and Percy stood over, both of them only kicking Victor once to knock him down. 

Victor limps off, not insanely hurt, while the 3 of us head to Percy's car. 

Yeah, I trust them.