Lily Renfrow

Someone hasn't had a crush on Percy or Annabeth in 31 chapters. That's over half this fanfic. So here is one. And yes, you've probably read something like this 61 other times. 

     I sprint down the halls,not wanting to be late. First swim practice of the year, no way I am going to be late. I check my watch. 2 minutes. To the left, my peripheral vision spots a "NO RUNNING IN THE HALLS" poster as it was one of the rules of the school. Screw that. I keep running.

I basically dive into the gym. I pant as I throw off my binder.  It wouldn't be classified as light in any regards. I drag myself to the girls lockers to change into my bathing suit. Goode's swim team was unisex (Remember kids, sex has 2 DEFINITIONS. And no, "unigendered" isn't a word.) so there were 2 locker rooms.

I walk out, put my clothes and waters  on the bleachers before heading to the circle of swimmers.

The coach, Mr.Styles, seemed to be giving a welcoming pep talk to everyone. Something about how we were a good bunch and we had a good chance at making it somewhere. He didn't know exactly where, but somewhere. Apparently that is good enough as we all harmonize the Goode chant as we break apart.

My voice is not contributing to the chant that much because the boy in the outskirts of the circle catches my eye. He is gorgeous. Green eyes, black hair, and a nice tan. Not to mention a good body. 

My eyes are trained on him as Mr.Styles lines us up for our  first drill. Just a basic freestyle. Since there was tryouts, he knows all of us can swim.

He tells us to get on the diving board, and the words almost go in one ear and out the other. Thankfully, the boy's eyes flashes  by me, and I turn away. I couldn't be caught staring at a boy I have just met. So I turn to listen to Mr.Styles. 

I launch myself into the water, eager to be in it. In New York City, swimming pools were a rare find. Only indoor gyms,hotels, and schools have them. I am one of the lucky people that get to experience the pools in school. 

I would cry out in joy if I wasn't so focused on my form. I needed to have a good first impression. That's what I do. I've been a top  swimmer since I was 7. 

I cut into the water, finishing the first lap in under 30 seconds. Well, what I think is 30 seconds. The second one is a bit slower as when I take a breath, the boy's hotness catches my eye, and I almost inhale a ton of water. I manage to keep focused, and finish strong. Well, what I think is strong.

"Nice job Lily! 4th place!" Mr.Styles says, and I almost snort. He has to be lying! Me? Not even being 2nd? Not even being a medalist? Did the other people have a head start? Is the coach blind?

I relax, and tell myself to calm down. I am thinking like a narcissist. Maybe we just have really good swimmers?

"Who is first, second, and third?" I question, desperately wanting to know.

"Bryce came in third." Mr.Styles says to a blond boy with neon green goggles.

"Caitlyn came in second." He continues, pointing to a Korean girl who has the physique of a body builder. 

"And Percy  came in first." He finalizes, and I follow his finger. He is pointing to the boy. Percy. Nice name.  Percy seems to be casually chatting with Bryce, and I resist the urge to walk over. Wow, he is hot. And he's a good swimmer!

We go through many other drills and swim type of things, and the whole time it is hard for me to keep my eyes off Percy. By the time end of practice is nearing, I am sure I have a crush on him. I just hope he doesn't have a girlfriend. 

I found myself looking at him more and more as the days goes on. We don't share any if the same periods,(except for swim practice of course)but I occasionally see him in the halls and always say hi. 

He's really friendly and kind to almost everyone. I am actually surprised he doesn't have a girlfriend. Well, he has never confirmed he doesn't, but we all agree he's single. He says he has a girlfriend, but he never gives any solid evidence. A lot of people speculate it's because to ward off the people that ask him out. 

Since we share lanes, Percy and I  become friends. Well, what I think is friends. We occasionally talk, and make jokes. Or share swimming tips even when he is much better at swimming in almost every category. I wo like to think some of my  petty advice could somehow be useful to him in the future though. 

 In late October, after another weekend of winning a swim meet, the swim team comes to practice like normal. Percy is a little late, but I don't think much of it. What really caught my eye though is the girl behind him.

 It isn't unusual for people to come to their significant others or relatives swim practice. What is unusual is that Percy Jackson has someone coming to watch. Except for his mom on a few occasions, he always came alone. 

We go through normal practice like usual, but the girl seems to be staring at Percy for most of it. She has blonde hair, startling grey eyes, and like Percy, a nice tan. Could she be his girlfriend? I tear the thought from my mind. I have to focus on swimming, not whether or not a guy has a girlfriend. But that guy is my crush. My brain argues with itself for half of the practice.

After Mr.Styles dismisses us, I try to find Percy, but he's with the blond girl. I see him say something to her before kissing her forehead. A kiss that isn't a friendly kiss or a brotherly kiss. Percy has a girlfriend. 

"You have a girlfriend?" I blurt out, but quickly catch myself. Definitely not the right thing to say.

"Uh...yes?" Percy says, and I stare at him, poker faced.

I have a lot of emotion, but I conceal it, and just walk out of the gym like it didn't bother me. At least I didn't ask him out. 

                                                            ***

It isn't until until mid December before I confess my feelings. Percy is really understanding, and we've managed to become actual friends without me trying to be his girlfriend.

Bryce and I also start to get closer, and it takes him  even longer for him to ask me out. I don't really mind though.

Well, I think I don't mind.

Yeah Bryce, you suck. Yeah what the heck Bryce? Who do you think you are Bryce? Screw you Bryce! 

Hope you enjoyed-

PandaDude