New Years

I'm watching the first American football game of the year, and I'm SO hyped. What? A fanfic writer can't enjoy some dudes ramming into each other? Smh 

11:37. The analog clock on the wall ticked slowly as the minutes passed by. Percy turned on the TV, watching the massive New York City celebration. They decided not to go to it as Annabeth was working late, but she was supposed to be back before 12. 

Percy watched the celebration as people and danced in the night. It was 11:43 when the door unlocked, and Annabeth entered. Percy smiled when he saw her.

"You made it." He said as he embraced her.

"Yep. Long day at work." She responded.

"I understand." He said reassuringly, and headed to the small kitchen while she headed to the couch. He looked through their drinks, and told Annabeth there was no champagne.

"Champagne is pretty bad anyways. What else do we have?" Annabeth asked.

"Agreed. We have milk, lemonade, orange juice, hot chocolate, coffee,mand of course water." Percy said from the kitchen.

"I'll just take the coffee. I want something to keep me awake." Annabeth said, and Percy started making it. He wasn't really thirsty himself so he just took some crackers.

He handed the hot cup to Annabeth.

"If you're tired, you can go to sleep. You don't have to stay up for 12:00. I can be with you." Percy said, not wanting Annabeth to do something she wasn't full on doing.

"Nah, I'm ok. Some days at work are just a pain. It's only 11:48. I can stay awake for another hour or so easily." Annabeth told him, not wanting him to worry.

"Okay, if you say so." Percy said warily, and sat down next to her.

"Really Percy? For New Years you're going to eat some crackers?" Annabeth said in disbelief.

"Uh...yeah." Percy said as he bit  into one gingerly.

Annabeth rolled her eyes. "Knock yourself out."

Percy looked at the clock for the 4th time in the last 5th minute.11:50. 

"10 more minutes until a new year." Percy said, wrapping his arm around Annabeth. 

She smiled, and rested her head on his shoulder. Percy turned down the volume. Despite  both of them saying they could stay up easily, they were both suddenly really tired. 

"You want me to get a blanket?" Percy whispered,stroking her hair.

"Nah I'll get it. Your selection of blankets is always horrible." Annabeth said, and got up even though she didn't really want to. Percy did always select horrible blankets though. 

She jogged to their room, and picked a blanket that was actually comfortable.  She carried it back to the couch,and tossed it on Percy.

"Hey. That's mean." Percy said, frowning dramatically as he tore it off him.

"It feels better than the ones you pick though, right?" Annabeth challenged as she snuggled in beside him.

"Not really because you just took 80% of it." Percy complained, trying to even out the amount of blanket they had.

"Just shut up and cuddle with me for a while."

And so Percy did.

They were enjoying the silence until the voices on the screen suddenly became much louder. The countdown. 

"57...56...55..."

"Annabeth." Percy said quietly, as she was already falling asleep next to  him. 

"Hm?" Came Annabeth's voice.

"40 seconds  until the New Year." He told her.

Annabeth sat up; her eyes still half closed. The screen came into view, the massive numbers on the screen.

She took another sip of her coffee, trying to stay awake for another 25 seconds. Gods, it was hard. Percy was really warm, she was comfortable,  and of course she was just generally tired from the exhausting day at work.

"3...2...1"

The  ball dropped, and commentators voices were drowned out by the cheers.

"Happy New Years Wise Girl." Percy said softly

"Happy New Years Seaweed Brain." Annabeth replied, and reached up to kiss his forehead.

"Really? Our first kiss of the year is a  kiss on the forehead?" Percy said, raising his eyebrow. 

Annabeth gave a lopsided smile, and curled up against him, not letting him have access to her lips.

Percy gasped like he was offended, but didn't really mind.

He was with the person he loved, and that's what really mattered.

We back in the mine got our pickaxes swinging from side to side. 

Just listened to it again, the nostalgia hit me like a stack of bricks. If you know, you know.

Also, yes I'm writing a New Years chapter in August

Hope you enjoyed-

PandaDude