Babysitting

Team RWBY sat in their dorm room, waiting for their so-called fifth member to get back. Their thoughts conflicted on the Grimm that was currently inside their building.

Yang: So... are we going to talk about the elephant in the room?

Blake: You mean the first-ever recorded Grimm with a soul?

Yang: No, the fact that Jaune is still dense- Of course the Grimm with a soul!

Weiss: I don't understand what the big fuss is all about, it's a Grimm, we are huntresses in training, we should kill it.

Blake: But... a philosophical question here. Grimm are known as soulless creatures only wanting to kill Humans and Faunus. That is well known, (turns page in her book) this Grimm didn't attempt to attack us at the docks, when it was inside Ruby's weapon it could've attacked us when we were sleeping but didn't. When we tried attacking he didn't fight back, but only defend himself-

Weiss: It's and it not a he.

Blake: is he-it? Shadow clearly has a soul, he wouldn't have been able to have an aura if he didn't have a soul.

Ruby: *sigh* Maybe we should wait for Violet to get back, she stayed behind to question the Grimm further.

As Ruby said this, they all heard the door unlocking. It opened to reveal Violet, who walked in yawning.

Yang: So... why'd you stay behind?

Violet: Wanted to question Shadow further.

Weiss: And?

She said this as Violet sat down in her bed, the only one not part of the bunk beds.

Violet: Oh he's definitely human.

The room quieted down, the team members processing what she said.

Blake: What... do you mean?

Violet: He's got a human soul trapped within his body.

The room was silent again, Violet looking at them with a neutral expression.

Weiss: Wha?! How is that even possible?!

Violet: Ruby can turn into a spiral that leaves behind rose petals, Yang can get angry and punch harder, Blake can leave copies of herself that explode, you can control elements with your glyphs, and I can control energy.

Violet lied down on her bed stretching.

Violet: Impossible things happen every day, why is this so surprising?

Weiss: I-well, your... How do you know that he was once human?

Violet: (shit, think Violet) When I asked who he really was, he told me... said he didn't have any reason not to.

Violet: His name is Jack technically, but he prefers Shadow. He doesn't remember how he got that body, or who he was. Only his name and his Semblance.

Yang: He has a semblance?! What is it?!

Violet: That's... not my secret to tell. He'll probably tell you some other day if he can.

As the team went to sleep, it was a Sunday and they would have classes the next day. But, as they all passed into their own separate dreams, someone was wide awake.

Jack: Midnight, time to go.

Shadow nodded and turned to smoke, his hand pressed against the glass. If you looked closely, you could see faint black dust particles moving as Shadow stayed in possession of the glass.