The outside

Two years ago.

Ozpin sat in his office both hands holding the top of his cane.

He thought of the past, as he always did.

But instead of his thoughts straying to his past wife, they focused on more... recent events.

Ozpin blamed himself for not seeing it sooner, not just that Shadow was a Grimm, the fact that he had a soul had lulled them into a false sense of security.

No, the fact that the god of darkness himself chose Jack for reincarnation should have been a warning.

The god of darkness was known for being the opposite of his brother, meaning that there would be no way that he would have chosen someone like himself for reincarnation, he would have chosen someone like him.

Shadow did not seem destructive though, but always focused on his own agenda over everything else. Though, he did stop Cinder's attack on Beacon... that was good.

But then Shadow copied the Fall maiden powers from Amber, putting him as one of the most powerful, and dangerous people on Remnant.

But, as always, Shadow left no trail to track him. Choosing to remain secret, except to those he chose. They originally had bought his lie of not wanting to be experimented on.

But the lie was presented when they tried tracking him down, only to find it impossible. Shadow didn't even leave a body trail, having copied Amber's power, leaving her alive.

But they got a lead in Mistral, Shadow was on his way to Haven academy.

He sent Team RWBY and JNPR. Maybe they could negotiate with Jack or Shadow. Sending Qrow, Summer, and Amber as back up.

But this had backfired, and Shadow used the relic he sought after to reveal Ozpin's own secrets. Letting Shadow walk out, with their trust in him growing, and the trust in Ozpin plummeting.

Teams RWBY and JNPR had a less than negative reaction, only having learn of Salem and the Maidens earlier. Even though they were his students, they kept their space.

Summer, Qrow, and Amber however...

Summer and Qrow cut off all communications to Ozpin, with Amber staying at the Rose Xiao Long residence. Qrow had gone and visited Raven, the two siblings reconnecting.

Eventually they were pulled back into the fight by Ironwood. Who had Shadow's exact location, and a plan.

But his failed too, Shadow now having the new winter maiden not trust Ironwood, due to the fact that he had killed the previous one.

And that's where he stood now, waiting for the day Shadow arrives for the relic of choice. So he could bring them back to his master.

Then, something inside him broke.

A sensation washed over him, it took him a moment for him to realize what it was.

Salem...

...

Ozpin called Summer from his desk, he would start with her and work his way through everyone else who knew.

Summer: Hello Ozpin.

Ozpin: Summer... She is dead.

Summer: ...

Summer: What?

...

Present day.

A Umbaran soldier, one of Shadow's guards, entered his private chambers.