Suspicions

Both first-year teams entered the arena. They addressed the crowd as they had done during the opening ceremony, before stopping and standing thirty feet apart. On the tiles were two designated starting positions, and the first-years made sure to stand on them so they could face one another. They had already seen that the arena could change shape; not only to alter the terrain but to replace any broken tiles. This was useful for an additional reason. The locker areas of Beacon and Shade were not head to head, and since the tiles of the arena could be swapped out, there were done so to make sure the correct starting positions were in place with every new match. This helped avoid any confusion for the combatants as well as the spectators.

As they waited for the match to begin, the teams were examining each other carefully, trying their best to determine the skill sets of each opponent.

Jaune: Looks like three brawlers and a sniper.

Pyrrha: Yes, I can see her rifle.

She confirmed, referring to May Zedong, the only woman on Team BRNZ.

Jaune: She's going to be a problem.

Nora: Annoying you mean.

Ren: She'll be covering her teammates.

Jaune: Then we need to take her out as soon as possible.

Pyrrha was about to suggest a plan of attack, then the screens switched to the commentator's box.

Port: At last we have our second match of the tournament; Team JNPR of Beacon versus Team BRNZ of Shade! And I do mean 'at last', as I am sure that everyone has been waiting for this one as much as I have. Wouldn't you say so, Bart?

Oobleck: Oh absolutely, Peter! Miss Nikos always draws in large crowds, as her long record of tournament victories in both Mistral and Atlas prove many times over! So no doubt many are eager to see her do what she does best in this tournament; myself included. Furthermore, to see two of my favorite students competing is something that, as a teacher, fills me with indescribable joy.

Port: Yes, I understand completely! Miss Valkyrie is my favorite student, and I've been looking forward to seeing how she fairs as well. Interestingly, you were telling me earlier that Mr. Arc has a rather impressive knack for history.

Oobleck: Indeed he does! Top of his class, in fact, beating both Miss Nikos and Miss Schnee!

Weiss: I'm still bitter about that final exam.

Weiss muttered, folding her arms crossly, and only became more cross as Yang began to rub her head.

Yang: There there.

Port: But will brains help in this contest of strength? Let's find out!

Jaune: Thanks for trying, Doc.

Nora: Hee hee, I'm his favorite.

Ren: At least you were mentioned.

Ren noted, feeling as if he was suddenly turning into the third wheel, which was odd given they were in a team of four. His eyes suddenly darted to the right as he felt a hand begin to rub his head, and saw that it was none other than his entire world.

Nora: There there.

She said consolingly, eyes closed and smiling, her cheeks tinted pink. Ren felt his own warmth as the environment roulette landed on two symbols: a green pine tree and a gray thunderstruck mountain.

Jaune: No time to complain, Ren. Draw your weapons and get ready!

The rest of Team JNPR complied and joined him, as the arena completed its transformation.