47

Daizee woke with a jump. It took her a moment to get her bearings on where she was. She hadn't slept so peacefully and soundly in weeks, that it felt weird to get out of bed and feel awake. Her eyes scanned the familiar room and let out a small smile.

"Blues clues, blues clues," Angel sang softly to the slobbering baby in his arms, "Oh look, Daizee's awake."

Daizee walked right to Mateo and wrapped him in her arms. The little boy squealed and smiled a gummy grin. Daizee could see the little white teeth starting to poke through.

"Look at those chompers!" She said and Angel walked over to see the teeth his son was sprouting, "I see at least two."

"Two teeth! You got two teeth big guy!" Angel grabbed his cheek gently.

"I'm gonna go get breakfast started for him. I'm guessing you don't have-"

"I don't have anything." Angel said sheepishly and rubbed the back of his neck, "Let me take you out. Both of you. I bet this guy loves pancakes."

"Angel-" Daizee was cut off by a loud ring from her phone. She quickly grabbed it out of her shorts and glared at the caller ID, "What Erin?" She said and handed the baby to Angel, "No, no I've been- what do you mean? Like serious bruises? What the fuck? I- No, don't say anything to him, I'll be there within an hour. And Erin- stay the hell out of my house."

Angel smirked as the girl hung up the phone angrily, "Is it bad?"

"Depends on what you say is bad." Daizee shook her head.

"Why don't I take him for the day?"

"Angel-"

"I'm not doing anything today. I can take him, please." Angel begged.

"I'm sorry. It's not that I don't trust you, it's he hardly knows you. It was wrong of me to come here last night like that, knowing everything you've gone through. Leti and Nestor are going to be waiting for me at the house. I'm sorry," Daizee said and reached for Mateo. Angel reluctantly handed the little boy to
him. Daizee reached up and kissed Angels cheek before heading out of the house to go home.

Like Daizee expected, she got an earful of Nestor when she walked through the door. She told herself there was a very good reason she had ignored his calls and texts. But the mercenary didn't think any excuse was good enough.

"Nestor, I am fine. I'm okay." Daizee answered as she handed Mateo to Leti.

"Where did you go?" Nestor asked.

"I went to... Izzy. She told me I could go to her if I need help with Mateo and I did. You've been working nights on my brothers security detail and I needed help." Daizee shrugged walking down to the bedroom.

"Why didn't you call? I would've come home." Nestor said sadly.

"From Sonora?" Daizee said stripping her clothes off. She knew that he couldn't stay mad at her when she was half naked, "I had it handled."

"Just don't- don't do that shit again, got it?" Nestor said eyeing her body.

"Of course." Daizee said and slowly walked towards him, letting her hair down from the bun that it was in, "And if I do?"

"I'll have to teach you a lesson." He said lightly wrapping his hand around her throat and pulling her closer.

"Sneak peak?"

"Get in the shower."

It took longer than an hour for Daizee to get to Miguel's house. She could hardly stand straight for a good 30 minutes after Nestor's little lesson in the shower. Once she could stand without her legs trembling she got dressed and made her way to see what the hell Erin was talking about.