Chapter 13 - A premonition.

The time was nearing 6PM. The evening sun's rays spread over the group of buildings in front of Tenguu Station, dyeing the surroundings with an orange hue.

From a small park that could overlook this brilliant scenery, Syouji watched as two people, a boy and a girl, walked in front of him.

There was nothing particular about the boy. He was a normal high school student, the girl, however...

"...Fuuu"

Meanwhile, Kusakabe Ryouko licked her lips while squinting.

"There's a 98.5% match. That's really too high for this to be a coincidence."

Spirits. Disasters that destroy this world. The girls who turned the land into scorched earth 30 years ago and caused a huge fire 5 years ago, and were in the same category as the worst calamities.

However, the figure that was reflected on Ryouko's retina right now was just that of a cute girl.

"Permission to fire?"

Quietly-or on the other hand, an icy voice, was cast towards Ryouko's back. She didn't turn around. It was Origami.

Equipped with the same wiring suit and thruster units as Ryouko, her right hand held the anti-Spirit rifle that was longer than her height, <Cry Cry Cry>.

"...Not yet. Remain on standby. The higher-ups are probably still in discussion."

"I see."

Not seeming relieved, nor seeming disappointed, Origami nodded.

Right now, standing by in a one-kilometer perimeter of the park, Ryouko and the other AST members number ten total, split up into five pairs. The fact that there were two people was one of the reasons for moving in pairs.

Even further from the urban areas than the park was a flat area that was under development. During the day there were lines of trucks and cranes and such, but at this hour it has already quieted down.

A few hours ago, when it was decided that the girl Origami discovered was a Spirit, permission to operate CR-units was immediately given.

However, people like the Minister of Defence and the Chief of Staff were still in a meeting about the plan of action. The main question was whether to attack or not.

Since it was an appearance where a spacequake was not detected, the spacequake alarm did not sound.

This meant that not a single resident had evacuated, so if the Spirit went berserk now, there would be grave damages.

On the other hand, it would be bad to provoke the Spirit by sounding the alarm now. It was a serious situation.

"This is a good opportunity."

Origami said that in her usual flat voice. Right now, the Spirit does not have her raiment manifested on her body.

The outer shell that, like Ryouko's territory, enclosed and made the Spirit the strongest, ultimate, invincible life-form, was currently not wrapped around her.

If it's now, there was a chance that their attacks could reach her. But that was no more than just a possibility, and right now what was needed was a certain way to deal a fatal blow with a single hit. That was the reason why Origami was holding the special anti-Spirit rifle.

The user lets out a scream, the trajectory lets out a screech, and the target lets out their death throes. Without an expanded territory, the recoil would break the shooter's wrist, it was a crazy gun.